chevette throttlelinkage?

Carbs, Injection, Manifolds, Unleaded conversions, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

chevette throttlelinkage?

Postby ross.cheeks » 18 Sep 2008, 10:38

recently a bracket holding the pedal in place broke and ive noticed that where that broke it had broken part of the linkage:

im sturggling to get hold of one of these parts so wondering if thats a way i can scrap the whole linkage system and just run a cable?

the cars runnign a single 40 dcoe at the mo and that has a cable running to the end of the mechanical linkage, just wondering if theres some way i could adapt it to just come straight off the pedal maybe?
ross.cheeks
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Shoveitpusher » 19 Sep 2008, 08:19

i an ideal world you would need a throttle linkage for the carb. however this is just a complex bit of kit that allows you to attach a cable or a second side draft. i can be as simple a a shaft and 2 levers (basically i'm saying you can buy a linkage but for a single carb it may be easier to make one)
for the throttle pedal you will need to make an adaptor. on mine the end of the pedal had been ground down to a shaft and a small steel block put on, the cables were then fitted into the block. my current pedal actually uses 3 or 4mm sheet steel to make the cable mount and is attached to the pedal via bolts.
Peter C
Shoveitpusher
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby ross.cheeks » 19 Sep 2008, 10:30

well ive already got a throttle linkage on the sinlge 40

just wondering if theres a way to join a cable straight to the pedal and scrap the standard linkage thing.
ross.cheeks
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Shoveitpusher » 20 Sep 2008, 08:13

well yes there is. actually i think it would be better to do this

best to use 2 cables, it balaces the forces on the linkage and the pedal.

as i said the origional pedal had the end ground to a rod and an aluminium block attached on top (might still have it) the twin cables then went into machined recesses. i think the cables came straight forward out of the bulkhead.

you will want long cables to allow a gentler radius on the entry into the linkage - other side of the filler looks a good route. just clip it neatly along it's route. make sure the cables can't catch on anything and it should be good.
Peter C
Shoveitpusher
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Gordo » 20 Sep 2008, 08:43

Find someone wrecking a later (post '80?) Checvette - they use a cable directly from the rocker - cut it out and refit it to your car.

[edit] WOOT! :D :D :D I can post again!
ttfn

Gordo
Gordo
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby ross.cheeks » 05 Jun 2009, 10:01

rite, looking into this again, whats the best way to go for a cable set up rather than the 'rod linkage' as standard?
ross.cheeks
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby ross.cheeks » 16 Jun 2009, 10:41

Shoveitpusher wrote:well yes there is. actually i think it would be better to do this

best to use 2 cables, it balaces the forces on the linkage and the pedal.

as i said the origional pedal had the end ground to a rod and an aluminium block attached on top (might still have it) the twin cables then went into machined recesses. i think the cables came straight forward out of the bulkhead.

you will want long cables to allow a gentler radius on the entry into the linkage - other side of the filler looks a good route. just clip it neatly along it's route. make sure the cables can't catch on anything and it should be good.

do you happen to have any pics of the set up? defo getting rid of this crappy rod linkage set up

ross
ross.cheeks
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Shoveitpusher » 16 Jun 2009, 14:01

I can't find the bits now, but hopefully you can get the idea from the picures
Peter C
Shoveitpusher
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby ross.cheeks » 28 Jun 2009, 21:06

would this be the part your on about?;

was sorting all my parts today and found it in the bag that i had he throttle linkage in.

once fitted how do i route the cables etc?
ross.cheeks
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Shoveitpusher » 29 Jun 2009, 07:45

yes that's it.
if i recall the cables run through the bulkhead in line with the block (under the servo) to minimise resistance, it's possible it went forward towards the rad then turned to the carb, as the one in your picture does now.
Peter C
Shoveitpusher
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Return to Fuel & Exhaust system