Picture sigs.

All the latest exciting news and happenings on the Chevette Gallery site! ALSO self help guides for picture posting/resizing etc

Moderator: Moderators

Picture sigs.

Postby Neilyman » 25 Jan 2006, 22:56

After numerous `complaints` from forum members regarding large picture sigs that are starting to appear, the Admin/Moderators of this forum have decided that the use of such sigs will not be allowed.

Lines of funny/unfunny text, small gifs or small pictures are ok.

If you have a large picture sig, please could you edit or remove it.

Don`t leave it for the Mods to remove, you might find your posting privilages are removed at the same time.

Thanks!
Neilyman
Admin and dirty rotten egg!

Postby Harry Flatters » 25 Jan 2006, 23:22

Neil, another forum I'm a member of - one which is, admittedly, more heavily moderated than here - lays down specific maximum sizes for picture sigs - an idea?

Something else I've noticed - being still on dial up - is that there's a lot of large pictures - either in pixel dimensions or filesize - posted, meaning scrolling horizontally to view the thread (in 1024 x 768) or very long page loading times. Would some sort of guideline on picture sizes be an idea, or too restrictive?
Harry Flatters
Photographer of the year 2006

Postby Shellysowner » 25 Jan 2006, 23:25

I have my screen resolution set at 1024x768 too and if I find a thread that requires horizontal scrolling I edit the offending picture/link accordingly. It's probably just that you tend to view 'em before I get to 'em. Have a look round the forum - I bet 'horizontal scrolling' threads are few and far between...
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby Neilyman » 25 Jan 2006, 23:33

Harry Flatters wrote:Neil, another forum I'm a member of - one which is, admittedly, more heavily moderated than here - lays down specific maximum sizes for picture sigs - an idea?

That`s in the pipeline! Just need DJM to alter the forum data, only he can do it.
As we`re not a `big` forum, I`m sure the Mods can keep it under control `till then. :wink:
Neilyman

Postby Harry Flatters » 25 Jan 2006, 23:33

what Ralph said...

My perception is that it's relatively frequent; maybe I do just get there first; and I do find if I move the thread over so the 'author' column is obscured I can read down the thread - for example, the 'oops I bought another car' thread. Big filesizes is a problem, though; perhaps not much longer for me, as I'm planning on going broadband, but for others?

Sorry Neil, didn't realise you'd posted the same time as I did! I believe on the other forum it's laid down in the FAQ / posting rules and enforced by the mods, rather than restricted in the forum settings - it didn't even occur to me that you could do that! :lol:
Harry Flatters

Return to News & Announcements