Type 9 Gearbox in a Kadett, Any thoughts?

From the humble 1256 to meaty V8`s, swaps, rebuilds, tunning, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Type 9 Gearbox in a Kadett, Any thoughts?

Postby iety2004 » 03 Jul 2005, 17:14

Hi guys, I've decided to step up the pace with me trying to get my Kadett back on the road and i think i'll have to pull all the tricks out of the bag.

The engine i plan to use is either a 1.3, 1.4 SR or SRI engine, because of the tunning parts available and how cheap they are. sorted.

The gearbox i am undecided on. Pretty sure the 1.8 Manta gearbox will fit the Nova engines, but these are hard to find and can be expensive and there aren't many upgrade kits going around.

The Ford Type 9 5 speed box fitted to most RWD FORDS. These are cheap, plentyful and Quaife do uprated internals for them, making it the better option for my conversion.

I'll get the box to fit by making up a conversion plate, but can anybody see anyother problems i may run into whilst trying to get it to fit?

Cheers
I ain't getting in no plane!
iety2004
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby hsr2.6 » 03 Jul 2005, 18:51

if the manta box fits why don't you buy a bell housing conversion that bolts straight up,the only other hassles are making a prop and positioning a new gearlever hole.....
rally drivers do it sideways.............well the quick ones do....................
hsr2.6
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby iety2004 » 06 Jul 2005, 21:47

Well the manta box is getting quite rare these days and the ones that do pop up seem to keep there value.

Type 9 gearboxes seem to be very cheap in comparision, plus they are very common fitted to the Capri, Sierra, plus like i said they have uprated insides available.

I don't think i could buy a bell housing for the conversion i have planned. Cos i bought a cheap engine.

Swift GTI engine. with Type 9 gearbox.

Not sure on how i am gonna fuel the thing tho, be easier to use the standard Inlet manifold, injectors, wiring harness and ECU, but playing with the idea of Bike Carbs or Throttle Bodies,

If i do use Bike throttle bodies i could alway use a mappable ECU to tweek some more power out of it.
I ain't getting in no plane!
iety2004
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Return to Engine & Gearbox