how to fit: 1800 manta block

From the humble 1256 to meaty V8`s, swaps, rebuilds, tunning, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

how to fit: 1800 manta block

Postby shuvit-tim » 22 Apr 2005, 11:28

(pinched from Chevette Owners Group)

How to install a 1.8 Manta engine into a Vauxhall Chevette
Submitted by Tim Jones www.tjmotorsport.co.uk

Better know as the Family Two engines as fitted in the Vauxhall Astra, Nova, Cavalier etc in front wheel drive option or Opel Manta and Vauxhall Carltons in rear wheel drive option. They come in sizes 1600, 1800, 2000 and 16V options. The block being the same throughout allows these engines to be fitted to the Vauxhall Chevette with very little difference.

The easiest option being to purchase a complete engine and gearbox out of the rear wheel drive Manta or Carlton. These already have the engine mounts, correct distributor layout, exhaust manifold etc fitted. The Manta 1800 also has the alloy big wings sump which will fit onto all the Family Two engines making the installation easier still.

After removing the Chevettes engine, gearbox, radiator etc, the engine mounting bobbins should be unscrewed. These are replaced with larger ones. Next remove both radiator support panels to allow the fitment of the Astra radiator. New brackets can be made up and spaced correctly to hold it. Or fit the radiator and hoses from the Manta.

If using the FWD sumps then it will need to be re-shaped to clear the crossmember. An easier option if not already fitted would be to source the alloy sump from a Manta 1800, along with the pick-up pipe and dipstick from the Manta. Slight modification will be required to the FWD sump baffle plate to allow you to fit the Manta pick-up pipe.

The front anti-roll bar mounting bracket should be removed from the underside of the chassis rail and refixed with spacers to lower the anti-roll bar by 1 1/2".

You can now drop the engine onto the bobbins. It is just a matter of electrical installation for the ignition system. Mating the manifold to the existing Chevette exhaust system. This will necessitate you to make a link pipe the goes underneath the sump/bellhouing across to the Chevette system.

Various gearboxes can be used for this type of installation. The Getrag gearboxes out of the Manta's etc will bolt directly to the Family Two engines, or a special bellhousing can be sourced to fit the Ford range of gearboxes (which have stronger gearkits available) giving a 5 speed action.

Propshafts will have to be made especially for the installation. If putting over 100bhp into the car it may be worth fitting a stronger rear axle. Ideally a Manta A axle should be sourced as these will fit under standard arches. If fitting wide arches such as the HS Group 4 kit or the HSR kit then an axle of the Manta B (which is more readily available) can be fitted as this is approx 2" wider than the Manta A. Special differentials are available for these such as Quaifes Automatic Torque Biasing differentials.

When uprating your engine it is important to consider such other items as brakes, suspension etc. A cheap brake upgrade is to fit discs and calipers off a Manta. Or use vented discs of a 2.2 Vauxhall Carlton along with 4 pot calipers off a Austin Princess or Volvo 240 models. These can be spaced to suit various disc widths. This will necessitate the fitment of a minimum of 14" wheels. The master cylinder should cope with this type of brake upgarde as they were the same bore sixe on all of the Chevettes, 1256 and 2300.

Nothing is impossible. Any engine (virtually) can be made to fit. It all depends on your patience, ability and of course wallet size.
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter

Postby iety2004 » 22 Apr 2005, 11:33

Top post tim,

Won't COG mind you stealling that?
I ain't getting in no plane!
iety2004
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby shuvit-tim » 22 Apr 2005, 11:36

shhhhhhh. it's intellectual property of tim from TJ motorsport who is a member here (TJM) and has submitted docs to this forum as well. he's also a top guy and readily gives advice so i'm sure he wont mind.

Tim
shuvit-tim

Postby iety2004 » 22 Apr 2005, 11:44

Ah i see, share the wealth then.

Does TJM do engine conversions or just sell bits? semms to know what hes on about
I ain't getting in no plane!
iety2004
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby shuvit-tim » 22 Apr 2005, 12:11

i'm not sure. mail him and ask, he's a friendly guy,

Tim
shuvit-tim

hi

Postby Guest » 11 Jul 2005, 21:33

hey,if your fittin the manta engine,and the brakes,does the suspensionn have to be altered in any way to cope???im gettin all manta running gear and im not sure if i should buy the suspension aswell,is the prop shaft easy to make??or how would one go about this

Postby Shellysowner » 11 Jul 2005, 21:56

Making props isn't really a do-it-yourself kinda job as the two halves need to be welded exactly straight and then the whole thing balanced. Better to get it done professionally. If you're going to be coming on here a bit for advice during this conversion why not sign up? It's free afterall. Welcome to the forum!
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby supersport » 25 Jul 2005, 23:54

so i could just buy an old 1.8 carlton and use the bits from that?
supersport
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby shuvit-tim » 16 Oct 2005, 22:48

friendly moddies can we make a few of the more definitive advice posts sticky so we dont lose them please?

Tim
shuvit-tim

Postby Neilyman » 16 Oct 2005, 22:58

Tell me which by replying `this one` to the thread & I`ll make it all nice & sticky for ya :shock: :P
Neilyman
Admin and dirty rotten egg!
Admin and dirty rotten egg!

Postby shuvit-tim » 16 Oct 2005, 23:26

cool bananas. i think

Tim
shuvit-tim

Return to Engine & Gearbox