Timing in a Kent Cam

From the humble 1256 to meaty V8`s, swaps, rebuilds, tunning, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby iety2004 » 25 Apr 2005, 02:19

Yeah i know thats how to find top dead centre, but do you time the cam to top dead centre then or?
I ain't getting in no plane!
iety2004
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby iety2004 » 25 Apr 2005, 02:27

Right one of my mates have emailed me Kent Cam instructions on how to time up a 1.6/1.9/2.0 litre R.W.D engine.

1) determine true tdc position of the engine by rocking the crankshaft whilst NO1. piston is at the top of the bore there will be approximatley a 10 degree dwell period and true TDC. fit protractor to crankshft and set to zero. Now rotate crankshaft clockwise to the full lift position for the camshaft being used.(mines 108 degrees) It is at this position that no1. inlet valve should be fully open. This can be checked by fitting a dial gauge on no1. inlet valve spring rtainig cap and rotating camshaft until valve is fully open. Once again approximatley a 10 degree dwell period will be shown and true lift will occur in the centre of this dwell period.

this is bound to be the same as my engine surley?
iety2004
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 25 Apr 2005, 13:18

yea that's the way we used to do it on a rebuilt engine but yours isn't. it should be just a matter of lining up the timing marks and going from there.
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby hsr2.6 » 25 Apr 2005, 17:50

but top dead on the cam timing won't be the same as a std cam,that's why they use a vernier on the cam to adjust the the cam sproket.........you will get as near as damn it but it won't be spot on,it'll look like it's half a tooth out but it'll still run.........
rally drivers do it sideways.............well the quick ones do....................
hsr2.6
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby iety2004 » 25 Apr 2005, 19:55

should i follow those instructions and then try to sourse a vernier cam?

cheers
iety2004
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby hsr2.6 » 25 Apr 2005, 21:29

yes, find tdc on the crank then make sure valves 7&8 are on the rock ,which means just as 7 finds the top 8 is just about going down.if you can find a dial gauge like this

make a bracket and bolt it to the head next to 7&8 and take a measurement off each valve when at the top and that will be true tdc

I hope you can understand that if you hav'nt got a gauge just time it up as a normal cam.........
rally drivers do it sideways.............well the quick ones do....................
hsr2.6
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby iety2004 » 25 Apr 2005, 22:18

what the difference between if the engine had a rebuild or not?
iety2004
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby hsr2.6 » 25 Apr 2005, 22:21

nothing
hsr2.6
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 25 Apr 2005, 23:36

iety2004 wrote:what the difference between if the engine had a rebuild or not?

when an engine has been fully stripped and rebuilt you need to be able to time the camshaft back in with the crank using the protractor and dial gauge to set it accurately as the head may have been skimmed thus altering the timing. as you are only replacing the camshaft then lining up the marks should suffice unless you are planning other mods. manufacturers put timing marks there for one reason only - to speed up production. as hsr2.6 said, the camshaft will be as near as dammit and the engine will run but not at its very best which is why vernier pulleys were invented.
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby Racer86 » 28 May 2005, 00:45

The cam should have a dowel in that fits into the cam sprocket, and the crank sprocket fits onto the crank with a woodruf (however you spell it) key. so if you line the dots up on the cam and crank spocket you cant get the timing wrong. The timing will be be to the factory settings. if you want to change this you could make an offset woodruf key for the crank sproked thus advancing or retarding the timing. If you are talking about fitting your VC2 can id stick with factory timing as it will give you 99% of the cams performance and it would be a pain to keep taing the engine out and trying different keys to find whats best. that wants doing on a rolling road really.
Racer86

Postby Shoveitpusher » 28 May 2005, 06:44

time to drop in a controversial comment. the woodruff key is only there to align the cam. you can do away with it as long as you confident on your bolt tightening technique.

as a safer bet file the slot in the pullu to allow a couple of degrees swing and set it up properly.

the method of timing in hsr has written is i think the method the technical editor of ccc uses - it does work and is designed to accomodate manufacturing variation. ie a 108 cam may actually be 106 or 110 when you fit it.
Peter C
Shoveitpusher
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Racer86 » 29 May 2005, 11:42

clever, that would work but its brave.
Racer86

Previous

Return to Engine & Gearbox