engine upgrade?

From the humble 1256 to meaty V8`s, swaps, rebuilds, tunning, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

engine upgrade?

Postby GJUK » 05 Apr 2005, 14:06

iv egot an original 1256 cc engine in my chevette 2 door, but would like some more power.

whats the easiest conversion thats well documented please?

cheers

Jon
GJUK
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby Shellysowner » 05 Apr 2005, 14:26

How much more power do you want? Have you considered tuning up the standard 1256 as 85bhp and 0-60 times of around 12s can be achieved without too much effort.

The easiest conversion is probably the 2.3 slant four as fitted to HSs as GM made all the bits but they're hard to come by these days and parts are pricey. Then of course there's the larger motored Kadett engines which...errr someone else will tell you more about but there were 1.8 and 1.9 versions, the 1.9 producing 105bhp as standard. These are probably slightly less tricky to come by and I should imagine a lot easier to find parts for (german ebay).

The most popular engine conversion involving an engine not fitted to the chevette by GM is the to drop in a 2 litre 'XE' motor as fitted to later astras and the like or if you've no bones about pulling mantas to bits why not buy a rusty manta, deposit the mechanical contents into the chevette et voila.

Mark (shuvit-pinto) has previously done a pinto conversion on a chevette (I think I remember reading) and pinto powered chevettes do crop up from time to time. iety2004 on the other hand is currently looking into using a 1.6 nova motor in conjunction with a manta box. There's a guy on here somewhere who's mid-way through putting a 2 litre GM ecotec engine (can be pulled complete with box from early omega) in a chevanne and chevetteV8 has a rover motored chevette. I think that's all of 'em (I'm sorry if I've forgotten you :wink:). I myself am planning to do a V6 24v conversion (from an omega also) in the fullness of time (sorry Doive).

Oh yeah almost forgot - find a complete Isuzu Piazza turbo. I don't know of anyone who's tried it but I imagine of you dump most of the mechanical contents of that into a chevette it should give it a bit more poke without too much strife. :D
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby GJUK » 05 Apr 2005, 14:34

thanks for that mate,

im very interested in hearing more about a pinto conversion, whats needed?

cheers

Jon
GJUK
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby Doive » 05 Apr 2005, 14:34

So plenty of good used 1256's about if mine ever goes bang. Great. You can all throw vast chunks of cash at your chevettes to make them go faster, or just do what I plan to do. If I want a 1.9 Kadett, then I'll buy a 1.9 Kadett. If I wanted a pinto engined car, I'd buy a Capri! Simple, saves time and gives a bit of variety to the car park. Each to their own though.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby GJUK » 05 Apr 2005, 14:35

Doive wrote:So plenty of good used 1256's about if mine ever goes bang. Great. You can all throw vast chunks of cash at your chevettes to make them go faster, or just do what I plan to do. If I want a 1.9 Kadett, then I'll buy a 1.9 Kadett. If I wanted a pinto engined car, I'd buy a Capri! Simple, saves time and gives a bit of variety to the car park. Each to their own though.

i hear you mate, but how much is it goin to cost to get good bhp out of a 1256?

i liek a revvy engine, if i can get decent power out of it i would be happy!

any change in a price layout speadsheet or list of costs?

Jon
GJUK
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby Shellysowner » 05 Apr 2005, 15:18

On the plus side Doive I'm also planning to save a chevanne as and when I find one so it's not all doom and gloom :) No spreadsheet of costs but do give you a rough idea:

Brabham manifold with carbs is worth just short of a tonne.
TJ Motor sport sells a Janspeed copy (they don't make em anymore) exhaust manifold and suitable exhaust so get a price from him.
Probably at least £250 for the head work and more if you have hardened valve seats.
There's a manifold for weber 28/36 on ebay at the mo - £30.
Cams are worth £60-£70 in good nick and less with worsening condition.
I'm still not sure whether you can fit a 175Cd on a standard manifold with or without a little modification. Someone seems to think you can buy an appropraite manifold and Vauxhall certainly did a 175CD kit but as to whether it contained a manifold or not I don't know.
If you want to start messing about with lumenition it's £160 or so for a brand new optical kit but I'd be tempted to shop around a bit.
There are many other tuning parts available but none that make much difference to the performance. Oil coolers and the like.
You can also bore the engine out to +040" which takes it to around 1300cc (planning to do that calculation when I can be bothered) although where you get the appropriate piston rings from I don't know.
According to something I was reading in the sportpart manual last night Bill Blydenstein used to do a 1500cc conversion which had a special long stroke crank and I think included different pistons as well (dunno if this involved boring out etc.).

Come to think of it I think we're all missing a trick here. Chevannes. They had a nice low compression 7.3:1 head on 'em (although I don't know if the low ratio was achieved using dished pistons as well). What's to stop someone adapting a popular turbo kit (such as for the A series) to fit the chevette. The you could have the chevanne head skimmed down to the appropriate compression (high sevens-low eights I imagine...but you or chosen expert adviser can calculate that) then do some of the above mods (the 1500cc mod would work particularly well then.... but I don't know if it's even possible anymore). Course by the time you'd done all that you'd've probably knocked the power over the magic 100bhp mark and have to change the rear axle but hey - that's life.
Shellysowner

Postby hsr2.6 » 05 Apr 2005, 16:40

Doive wrote:So plenty of good used 1256's about if mine ever goes bang. Great. You can all throw vast chunks of cash at your chevettes to make them go faster, or just do what I plan to do. If I want a 1.9 Kadett, then I'll buy a 1.9 Kadett. If I wanted a pinto engined car, I'd buy a Capri! Simple, saves time and gives a bit of variety to the car park. Each to their own though.

:lol: b1tchy :lol:
rally drivers do it sideways.............well the quick ones do....................
hsr2.6
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby Doive » 05 Apr 2005, 19:25

Terribly sorry, I am now consumed with engine swap interest. Ralph knows what I am like - standard cars left as they are, you want more power you buy a car with a bigger engine. To me it makes sense.

*Must try harder to get into the spirit of things*

Anyway Ralph, some of the tuning stuff you have mentioned intrigues me. I had heard of an overbore kit for the 1256 to take it over 1300cc which involves larger pistons as you say. But I'd never heard of the Blydenstein long stroke kit to go with that! I reckon the 1256 in 1500cc version would be a gutsy performer, as standard mine is fairly torquey but that would be an interesting thing to drive. Wouldn't rev particularly well I wouldn't have thought. Any ideas what carbs he fitted to that?

I had considered getting a weber for mine as the CD150 needs an overhaul but I always miss the ones on fleabay. Also on the bay at the minute is a fast cam kit for the 1256 with followers and everything, just came on last night so that could be worth looking into. I'd buy it only I don't want to take the engine out of the car to fit it, and can't afford to pay someone at the moment due to other expensive projects!

I'll complain less in the future, I just like my standard cars :D

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Shellysowner » 05 Apr 2005, 20:12

Right, well there's a few interesting points here. Firstly I don't know how far the motor was stroked to take it to 1500 and I don't know whether the capacity was pre or post boring. What I do know is that it was probably stroked by less than 20mm meaning that the 1256 (80.98mm bore, 60.96mm stroke) would still be oversquare so should have no problems revving as well as a standard capacity motor. I assume Bill would've taken into account forces on the conrods etc. or included stronger ones in the kit and obviously different pistons would've been included so that TDC is still level with the top of the block. One thing it probably would do is increase bore wear as there's be more sideways component in the forces on the pistons. No idea what carbs he fitted but I reckon I am going to ring him tomorrow to ask about the whole thing.

I asked my old man about forced induction and he reckons the ideal is around 7:1 compression so 7.3 would be dead right. Imagine a 1500cc motor with all the usual tuning goodies, flowed head with oversize valves + a blower/turbo kit. Insane power. I wonder what the most powerful 1256 motor ever made was?

P.S. Please don't buy the cam, I want it!
Shellysowner

Postby Doive » 05 Apr 2005, 22:38

In that case bid away, you have first shout on it as far as I am concerned. All I would do with it is stockpile it in the wardrobe with the rest of the chevette goodies I have. I'd be interested in what Bill has to say about that whole conversion - if you speak to him take notes of the conversation and post them up here!

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 05 Apr 2005, 22:45

Shellysowner wrote:I myself am planning to do a V6 24v conversion (from an omega also) in the fullness of time (sorry Doive).

wow, very nice. i thought about this myself but the ignition side of it put me off.
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby nzchevette » 06 Apr 2005, 07:03

im in the process of pulling a piazza turbo apart and intend putting the whole lot in my vett iv heard that its not a hard conversion to do so thought i would give it a shot just bought a whloe turbo piazza for $150 nz dollars 8) 8)
nzchevette
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Guest » 06 Apr 2005, 16:41

go for it my son :twisted:

Postby GJUK » 06 Apr 2005, 21:41

thanks all for the nice comments and feedback.

im going to give keeping the 1256 motor another good think.

its either i throw a few hundred at the engine or throw a few hundred at getting a 2.0 dropped in it :)

Jon
GJUK
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Return to Engine & Gearbox