Swift Gti Engine in a Kadett

From the humble 1256 to meaty V8`s, swaps, rebuilds, tunning, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Swift Gti Engine in a Kadett

Postby iety2004 » 22 Mar 2005, 17:41

Right have to start a new thread as some users(u know how you are) keep hijacking my other thread. :x

Does anybody know a company that could make an adaptor plate for a manta gearbox to be mounted to the Swift Gti engine?

Been looking into this conversion and the Sr engine conversion and i'm 50/50 on which one to try, the GTI engine looks more fun with 16V and 100hp out of a 1300cc,

I know i will have to make alot of custom parts and try to sort out such problems as fueling ect, as i don't want to run the Gti injection system i will be converting back to Carbs.

I'll have to make a exhaust manifold and system

Adapt some coolant hosing for the engine the Kadett radiator

Make custom engine mounts

Can anybody think of anyother poblems

Any ideas?

cheers :D
I ain't getting in no plane!
iety2004
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Shoveitpusher » 23 Mar 2005, 09:22

i said 101 standard. most seem to be 105 min with 120bhp being very easy to get without changing any majour mechanical bits. standard red line is a 7500 with 8500 safe on a standard engine. you can get some serious tuning bits but tey are expensive and need to be imported. max n/a power i've heard of is 180bhp

if you are still set on road rallies i would keep the induction,rumours of new rules next year allowing 16v engines with the standard plenum, it's not that restrictive especially with a cone filter rather than the standard airbox. if you are set on something else there are a few guys running carbs although the engine is ideal for throttle bodies as the injectors are in the head not the manifold. the standard exhaust manifold is ok and would be a good basis for a rwd exhaust. the 4 into 1 manifold is also easy to make and is quite good at getting power.

you will need an ecu and harness. there are quite a few swifts on ebay exhaust wise take the manifold and downpipe (the latter as a patern). it is actually a very simple injection system working off few sensors. you may need an uprated clutch cover since you're pulling a heavier body about, i'm guessing a chevette disk with swift cover (no idea if they fit) biggest headache will be engine mounts.

the coolant inlet and outlets are on the left of the engine (in a chevette bay) the hot outlet is high up the block. it runs a fuel return system so an extra fuel pipe would be needed. it may be possible to fit the swift fuel tank in the chevette boot with a bit of cutting. one headache may be a speed sensor the swift has in the instrument clusted (may not be on the mk1)

ok donar vehicles. a mk 1 swift has a clockwork dizzy and has a better engine mount setup for what you want to do. the former makes carbs easier. it's a bit more restrictive on the inlet side (slightly) but the inlet is self contained (the mk2 has an airflow sensor on the end of a pipe). the cam belt is thinner, ideally you want to swap to mk2 pulleys.

the mk 2 is a fully electronic engine including dizzy. bits are more plentiful such as chips (main use is to raise the rev limit) the inlet is a bit more cumbersome but has more power potential. mk2's are generally more available (tin worm is a problem)

i can take some pictures of a mk2 now but my mk 1 is away at present.
Peter C
Shoveitpusher
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby iety2004 » 23 Mar 2005, 13:48

Im watching a Gti engine on ebay at the moment, don't know how much it'll go for tho,

I know that most of the fueling and cooling hoses i'll need to adapt myself.

Im not sure what to do when it comes to the induction system, i want to try and adapt some bike carbs already got some waiting for a conversion which are also Suzuki GSX600 carbs, 32mm bore. I'll think i'll have to wait and see how the rules change.

One problem i think i found is that the manifold is on the opposite side to the system.

One person on the British rally forum, said to make an plate which is the same pattern as the suzuki gearbox pattern and cut and weld this plate to the Manta gear box.

thanks for the help

:D
iety2004
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby iety2004 » 23 Mar 2005, 22:57

How much would you say these 1.3 16V engines are worth?

I found a guy breaking a GTI not too far away from me nd said to make an offer on the engine?

Any ideas?

Cheers
iety2004
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Shoveitpusher » 24 Mar 2005, 07:31

a whole car would be no more than £350 with no mot. engine and all the bits £100 to £150 in my view and you want all the bits. which version is it? why is he breaking it?

boxy car is a mk 1, curvey 3 door with manual windows is mk 2 curvey with lecy windows is mk 2.2 (has a cat and oxygen sensor)

i don't know which side a standard chevette exhaust is but the 2.3 is on the lhs as is the swift.
Peter C
Shoveitpusher
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby iety2004 » 24 Mar 2005, 15:21

The car is a MOT failure,

Yeah the 2.3 are on the Left hand side, so there cant be a prob make an downpipe to match it

The guy wanted 170 for the engine and 65 for the manifold, which i thought was a bit steep
iety2004
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Shellysowner » 24 Mar 2005, 15:26

65 for a stock manifold? Does it dance? Do tricks?
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby iety2004 » 24 Mar 2005, 18:22

Im afraid not, its just a standard stock manifold looking all cast irony, nothing special at all.

I thought it was a bit expensive myself.

Ok i'll try and adapt and except that i have to use the injection system. Do you know if i have to use the standard Ecu or can i put a mappable one on there?

Cheers
iety2004
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Shoveitpusher » 25 Mar 2005, 09:44

what did it fail on, tin worm or emmisions. my mk 1 has an emmisions problem (it won't pass with the closed circuit breather attached) hence the question. tin worm is the usual reason.

the manifold is part of the engine and if he thinks he will sell it seperatly for more than £20 he is going to be disapointed. if you have a mapable ecu then use one, otherwise take the standard. as i said chips are readily available.

£175 for the engine including manifold (check the manifold isn't cracked around the downpipe flange), harness and ecu (he'll think thats worth lots too, again £30 tops, if lucky and patient he may get £50).

i wouldn't part with more than £200 for the lot (add the tank to the list)
Peter C
Shoveitpusher
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby iety2004 » 25 Mar 2005, 13:47

Why do i need the tank?

Cos of the fuel return on the injection system?

I was gonna build a mappable Ecu and use that, if the regulations allowed that kind of thing.

cheers
iety2004
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Shoveitpusher » 26 Mar 2005, 08:07

the tank has the pump and baffles for the fuel injection to run as well as the connections for the return. my thoughts are if this can be fitted in the rear of the car accross the back where the normal tank is it will be a known base point.

by all means do your own ecu, but how are you going to know if a running problem is the result of the instalation or the new ecu. i would suggest starting with a known base then moving on.
Peter C
Shoveitpusher
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby iety2004 » 27 Mar 2005, 13:59

Ok cheers

So what the difference between the MK1 and MK2 engines?

Cos i belive you said to use the MK1 engine cos mounts would be easier to fabricate?
iety2004
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Shoveitpusher » 27 Mar 2005, 14:36

the differances are the engine mounts, cam belt and the dizzy. there are 3 mounts on the engine and gearbox each, as opposed to 3 in total.

the inlet manifold has the complete flow meter and throttle pot on it as opposed to either end of a large tube.
Peter C
Shoveitpusher
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Return to Engine & Gearbox