1.3 Nova SR Engine in a Kadett - officially hijacked.

From the humble 1256 to meaty V8`s, swaps, rebuilds, tunning, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 15 Apr 2006, 22:22

Doive wrote:How did I get you two mixed up??

easy mistake :lol:
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby coop » 12 May 2006, 16:29

i just saw this one ebay it says that the manta clutch kit is the same as the astra's http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Clutch-kits-Vauxh ... 4628724530
also theres another one that lists for a 1.3manta and nova as the same clutch kit :shock: so if this is the case surely u can use the nova lump if you can get a 1.3 mants box :wink: or maybe the 1.8 manta box with a 1.8 cav or astra lump 8)
coop
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Shellysowner » 18 Sep 2006, 14:03

Image :D

I remembered this thread while talking to Steve Lockhart at the weekend. He mentioned that he'd bought a Daewoo 1.5 twink a while back which is essentially a short-block XE (don't quote me on that cos I haven't looked at one up close) but decided against fitting it because he already had a manta sump.

Shamelessly stolen off ebay a pic of a Nexia engine bay. It occurred to me that for all you lads who want to do road rallying (if thats the correct term) on a budget this could be the ideal solution. Cheap motor to buy and 1498cc so cheap tax - you'd need a custom (shorter) sump which is the tricky part but apart from that it should all bolt up (manta gearbox) like any of the other popular motors.

Anyways just a thought - feel free to shoot the idea down :P
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby shuvit-tim » 18 Sep 2006, 17:07

i like the idea..... thoughts gentlemen and ladies?
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter

Postby rodgerq » 26 Sep 2006, 10:16

was it ever cleared up whether the manat 1.8 box would fit the small block vauxhall 1.2/1.3/1.4/1.6. these engines are all basically the same - will all certainly fit on the same mounts and i know for sure the stud pattern of the 1.8 manta box will fit as you can fit any front drive box right from f10 through to f28 to any small block(all above) or big block, even vaux v6 engine.

its true a lot of nova owners are tits. heres one thats not though ;) any other questions about other vauxhalls i can probably answer, and if i cant i can get it. its the older stuf like these chevettes etc im not too clued up on, but im looking forward to learning

rodgerq
rodgerq
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby rodgerq » 26 Sep 2006, 10:18

as for the daewoo engine, as far as i am led to believe the mounts are the exact same as the XE/LET so the conversion would be the same. for anyone wanting more info i can try and get that for you

rodgerq
rodgerq
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Shellysowner » 26 Sep 2006, 11:43

rodgerq wrote:for anyone wanting more info i can try and get that for you

If you could double check the facts for us rodger that would be great - like I said I'm pretty sure the sump would need to be shorter for these 1.5's but apart from that I hear the conversion is exactly the same.
Doive wrote:I remember last summer being in another Chevette with a quite mad driver, and we were drifting round A class roads at 65mph with the tail sliding progressively on the corners. It was fantastic.

1980 Chevette L Hatch
<s>1980 Chevette L Estate</s>
Shellysowner

Postby shuvit2go » 26 Sep 2006, 19:52

The Manta 1.8 box does bolt straight on to the small block engines,you just need a spigot bush in the end of the crank and take about 6mm off the end of the mainshaft.
shuvit2go
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby shuvit-tim » 26 Sep 2006, 22:46

the question to me would be whether to run it on ECU injection or go for twin 40s

Tim
shuvit-tim

Postby rodgerq » 26 Sep 2006, 23:03

i hear carbs are a 'mare to keep setup well. i'd opt for management whether its on TBs, or standard stuff

rodgerq
rodgerq
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Shellysowner » 26 Sep 2006, 23:12

Yeah... but fuel injection is for girls :P
Doive wrote:I remember last summer being in another Chevette with a quite mad driver, and we were drifting round A class roads at 65mph with the tail sliding progressively on the corners. It was fantastic.

1980 Chevette L Hatch
Shellysowner

Postby rodgerq » 26 Sep 2006, 23:14

lol aye but it works. hell i can pinpoint any fault on an XE/LET efi system within seconds usually yet a simple carb 1256 engine has me pulling my hair out the now

rodgerq
rodgerq
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Shellysowner » 26 Sep 2006, 23:16

Is that because it's long girly hair and it gets caught in the viscous fan? :wink: :lol:

Have you got a 'Canalyser' type job for your XE then or similar plug-in gismo and a book of fault codes?

1980 Chevette L Hatch
Shellysowner

Postby rodgerq » 26 Sep 2006, 23:18

pah who needs plug ins mate. i can wire my own diagnostics in ;)

and that fan, damn it, i dont know how my times ive came this close to whipping me ear off while looking at something like the fuel pump or the carb :o

rodgerq
rodgerq
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby rodgerq » 26 Sep 2006, 23:19

and ive only had the car a day :lol:

rodgerq
rodgerq
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 26 Sep 2006, 23:31

rodgerq wrote:its true all nova owners are tits.

'Young Tims' an ex Nova owner does he still qualify?
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby rodgerq » 26 Sep 2006, 23:34

Herbie_Flowers wrote:
rodgerq wrote:its true all nova owners are tits.

'Young Tims' an ex Nova owner does he still qualify?

think thats a bit of a mis-quote there pal. try re-reading what i actuall did type ;)

rodgerq
rodgerq
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby rodgerq » 26 Sep 2006, 23:35

if i did say that i would be calling myself a tit aswell as i have a nova myself. chav special :p.

rodgerq
rodgerq
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 26 Sep 2006, 23:39

rodgerq wrote:think thats a bit of a mis-quote there pal. try re-reading what i actuall did type ;)

rodgerq

oh dear lost your sense of humour as i'm sure the person it was directed at would see the joke. the "mis-quote" was hardly unintentional was it pal :roll: :wink:
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby rodgerq » 26 Sep 2006, 23:42

dont know the guy to comment on if he is a tit or how he would take your joke either.

rodgerq
rodgerq
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby shuvit-tim » 27 Sep 2006, 12:41

as far as i'm aware i'm not a tit, and i did indeed take the joke well - so now now boys and girls - keep it friendly :P

good to see another nova owner / ex nova owner on the forum anyway! :D

Tim
shuvit-tim

Postby Shoveitpusher » 27 Sep 2006, 13:30

for road rallying it would have to stay with the standard plenum.

got to have carbs, minimum of 2 chokes, 4 is best, real chevettes have terms like 48 or 50 associated - failing that some form of sound track to imitate the noise please.

if it's a cheap motor with good figures then probably worth a try, bare in mind it will run without a cat so the fueling may need changing, a mega jolt/squirt may be a good option (they also come with auto correction options for ethanol now i hear) for those of us who think an ecu is an obsolete currency that came in hard and soft forms.
Peter C
Shoveitpusher
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby rodgerq » 27 Sep 2006, 16:43

shuvit-tim wrote:as far as i'm aware i'm not a tit, and i did indeed take the joke well - so now now boys and girls - keep it friendly :P

good to see another nova owner / ex nova owner on the forum anyway! :D

not EX mate, still got the old girl.

some spec if you are interested

K reg red nova TD shell. engine bay seam welded

c20let engine mounted on TAS competition mounts, running phase 2(280 bhp), frontera front mounted intercooler, stainless steel boost pipes, equal length turbo manifold running cowsworth 2wd T3 turbo with external wastegate, screamer pipe exiting passenger wing. Apexi boost controller, 450bhp rated paddle clutch, f28 6 speed box fitted with quaife ATB diff with fully rose jointed gearlinkage and cavalier gearshift selector retro fitted. this sits above the floor instead of underneath which facilitates the fitment of the 306L stainless full 3" exhaust system from the turbo back. standard injection system with uprated fuel pressure to 3.5 bar using a SARD fuel pressure regulator.

brakes are astra gte 16v items on front and standard drums on rear. soon to be upgraded to some sort of 4 pot gear.

fitted with spax rsx coilovers on front and koni on the rear lowered 35mm. fron springs soon to be uprated to 300lb springs for better handling. poly bushes all round, rose jointed camber adjustable bottom arms ready to be fitted. front tiebars lowered front and rear.

interior is completetly stripped out except a couple of buckets, the apexi, a wideband eugo lambda gauge, inlet temp gauge, boost gauge, standard instrument cluster and road angel for GPS speedo. soon to be remodelled with addition of more gauges, removal of dashboard and probably a cage and new buckets/harnesses.

some pics and a couple of small videos

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v343/ ... ?start=all

and if you think thata good you should see the engine we have lined up for the chev ;)

rodgerq
rodgerq
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby shuvit-tim » 27 Sep 2006, 17:24

*dribble*

sounds incredible mate, and i love the look, beautifully understated.

I hate these novas with hideous fibreglass kits - particularly with 1 litre engines or even slower the 1.2i!

That's a pretty impressive machine, but I'm sorry - the last place in the world I want to be at 140mph is in a nova.

Mine scared the bejesus out of me at whatever the actual speed was when it read 125. But then mine had the structural integrity of a weetabix.

Spec of mine was far more modest:
1400 SR, with 32/24 DTML Weber carb on astra varijet manifold, with K&N filter, full custom 1 piece stainless exhaust, astra 16V ATE callipers and discs with nova GTE servo, vectra 5 spoke alloys, on 195/45 tyres and a big pair of spotlamps. Interior mods were just a small sub and 6x9s and a small diameter momo steering wheel. Had GTE bumpers front and back, sprayed in gun metal silver (forget the official colour - the old mark 1 silver/grey) but probably would have looked better with GSi bumpers on a MKII.

Tim
shuvit-tim

Postby rodgerq » 27 Sep 2006, 17:30

oh and it has a quickrack fitted aswell, lol.

ive owned this nova for a good while now and used to easily sit at 140 or whatever(private track obviously) and not blink an eye lid but i get wary now. dont know whether its to do with the cops or maybe dying lol.

fastest its been on the gps is 156

rodgerq
rodgerq
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Previous

Return to Engine & Gearbox