Chevette Distributers

From the humble 1256 to meaty V8`s, swaps, rebuilds, tunning, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Chevette Distributers

Postby donlondon » 06 Jan 2005, 12:57

I have a 1978 Vauxhall Chevette GL.
My distributer has given up the ghost and despite buying just about every spare I can it's still playing up.
I'm having trouble finding a replacement distributer and wondered if anyone could help.
Am I right in thinking you can use a distributer from a 1.2 Nova?
Thanks for any help you can give me
Don
donlondon
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Doive » 06 Jan 2005, 16:22

It depends on what kind of dizzy you have. If it has the black cap then its the Delco one, spares of these come up occasionally. If it has the orange cap and the condenser on the rear side then its the Bosch and I have never seen a spare of these. From the age of yours its very likely you have the Delco dizzy, but Vauxhall seemed to chop and change every time it was tuesday. However, because of this you may get lucky and find a new dizzy. What exactly is yours doing that it needs replacing? They are usually good strong units that give no problems.

As for the Nova parts sharing I'm really not sure at all, think it more likely that a Nova would share dizzy with a Kadett as the engines are quite similar, don't think it would fit chevette.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby donlondon » 06 Jan 2005, 19:41

Thanks for your help
It's really just that the plate in the dizzy is threaded so i've never been able to maintain the point gap leading to the normal ignition headaches with points.
First off the condensor went so I replaced that, then the cap cracked so I replaced that and now i'm just thinking it's time to bite the bullet and replace the unit.
So is the Nova idea a bit of a non-starter in your opinion then?
donlondon
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Doive » 06 Jan 2005, 19:55

I don't think they are interchangeable as I'm sure they are the same as a kadett and I'm pretty sure the kadett one is not the same as the chevette. I'll check at the weekend when I go up to see the Kadett! As for the points problem, have you considered getting a tap and recutting the thread in the baseplate? You would need a bigger screw to retain the points but I don't think it would be difficult to drill the mounting hole out on these either if needs be. However, if the teeth on the gears are smashed then I think the unit may be scrap. I have seen new chevette dizzys about somewhere, I'll take a look around all the usualy suspects and get back to you if I find one.

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Doive » 06 Jan 2005, 20:03

Ah, you may be in luck! I think the parts listing may be a little out of date, but check out http://www.speedyspares.co.uk and go to the Vauxhall section, they have the following listed:

9977277 Distributor Delco Viva/Chevette (in line) £40.00

91082194 Distributor Bosch 0231-170-291 Chevette (in line) £40.00

As I say I don't know if they will still have either of these, but its worth giving them a call as I have found them to be very friendly and always willing to help. There are probably some other suppliers around, its just a matter of sourcing them!

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby donlondon » 06 Jan 2005, 22:22

Brilliant, thanks a lot for that.
I'll get on to them tomorrow and see if they can help.
Cheers for your advice, its much appreciated.
Don
donlondon
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Return to Engine & Gearbox