Blydenstien Rocker cover and inlet.

From the humble 1256 to meaty V8`s, swaps, rebuilds, tunning, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Blydenstien Rocker cover and inlet.

Postby Shuvit-pinto » 22 Oct 2008, 19:18

HI Guys and gals

I have one of the cast Blydenstien Inlet / rocker covers and was wondering what gaskets were used? It will need something that deals with the inlet side that can cope with exhaust heat as well as the rocker gasket. Any ideas?

Regards
Mark
Shuvit-pinto
Forum Parts Squirrel
Forum Parts Squirrel

Postby Shellysowner » 22 Oct 2008, 22:44

Blimey - I think whatever they were made out of you'll probably be maing your own squirrel!
Doive wrote:I remember last summer being in another Chevette with a quite mad driver, and we were drifting round A class roads at 65mph with the tail sliding progressively on the corners. It was fantastic.

1980 Chevette L Hatch
<s>1980 Chevette L Estate</s>
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby Shuvit-pinto » 23 Oct 2008, 00:03

Bugger, thats what I thought.

Might be able to get the casting milled out to take a standard cork gasket for the rocker bit and still use the standard inlet metal gasket for the inlet bit. Failing that fall back on plan B and fit the other manifold I have for the Dellorto 40.
Shuvit-pinto
Forum Parts Squirrel
Forum Parts Squirrel

Postby Gordo » 23 Oct 2008, 08:49

Get a sheet of gasket paper, glue it to the manifold/cover assembly, let dry - best thing is to have it paper down on a flat surface with some weight on top keeping it down firmly. When dry, carefully cut out the excess material - a small modeling knife or 'box cutter' should work well.

While that's being done, I'd tap the heat risers in the head and install a couple of plugs - I made them long enough to just meet the port. This will prevent heat damage to the manifold and greatly reduce heating of the incoming charge and hence give more power. HOWEVER, the winter here is very mild and there's a chance of icing in cold weather although I had no problems down to -5C using a cold air intake mod'.

Other alternative - especially if you want to keep the heat riser - check the yellow pages for someone who does laser or high pressure cutting, they should be able to cut some for you out of a re-inforced gasket material.

Last option - glueing as above, but of a non-reinforced exhaust, or heat resistant, gasket material.

Those manifold assemblies are quite rare - be a shame to butcher it.
ttfn

Gordo
Gordo
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 23 Oct 2008, 23:35

Shuvit-pinto wrote:Any ideas?

ring Blydenstein :wink:
Shuvit-pinto wrote:Might be able to get the casting milled out to take a standard cork gasket for the rocker bit and still use the standard inlet metal gasket for the inlet bit.

send it over Mark and i'll do it at work if you want, it'll save fannying around in the future and be cheaper
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby Shuvit-pinto » 31 Aug 2009, 00:38

OK Might do that Herbie

Still all in bit on the bench and the Chevette has not been on the road this year. Still building the Aircraft and running the business. Just to busy.

Mark
Shuvit-pinto
Forum Parts Squirrel
Forum Parts Squirrel

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 31 Aug 2009, 12:27

Shuvit-pinto wrote:Just to busy.

Good to hear it mate it's much better than having feck all to do like me :cry:
As you might have guessed i'm unemployed at the moment and it's not looking very good in the foreseeable future either as each job vacancy has over 80 people applying for it. Things will change though as apparently Gordons billions have produced some green shoots of recovery, though just not in my industry sector :lol:
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Return to Engine & Gearbox