1256 ~ worth the effort

From the humble 1256 to meaty V8`s, swaps, rebuilds, tunning, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

1256 ~ worth the effort

Postby Mull » 28 Jul 2008, 19:36

Don't know what to do with my Chevette long term, I quite liked the idea of a rotary engined one which I read on here, but think it may be beyond my means and cash.

So I thought of carb, filter and exhaust on the 1256 but general feedback is that the engine won't take it (too many rev's). Any thoughts / experience on here.

Cheers

Mull
Mull
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby ross.cheeks » 03 Aug 2008, 19:27

thats pretty much all ive got on mine although ive not driven it with them yet. its in the rolling road place at the mo being set up with the single 40 dcoe, new dizzy with electronic ignition and ive got an ashley exhaust system, a manifold would help but no-one makes one and every time a group buy is attempted it goes tits up.
ross.cheeks
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 05 Aug 2008, 23:38

The Chevettes engine is bombproof, 30+ years of similar design manufacture saw to that, however, bombproof goes hand in hand with agricultural. It's a horrible sounding engine when revved hard and the weak points that i know of are the centre main crank journal (common to all 3 main bearing crank engines), rocker studs shearing/falling out and the push rods punching through the rockers.
Getting engine tuning stuff now is very hard but £££ can get you anything. Carb upgrades entail a new inlet manifold (unless you can get an 1 3/4" Stromberg which will still involve the manufacture of a spacer as this is a 3 stud design as opposed to the 1 1/2" originals 2 studs) and a new exhaust is pointless without the exhaust manifold (see above post for Ashley issues).
A 1 3/4" Stromberg, decent air filter, full Ashley exhaust system and electronic ignition would make a tidy upgrade but i bet for similar money you could find an old Manta and transplant its running gear for a better one.
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby ross.cheeks » 06 Aug 2008, 14:53

hopefully i should have my manifold issue sorted soon, getting a kit from TJM , then my mate is going to weld it, probably going to be a ball ache but will do as a stop gap whilst i collect stuff for a redtop conversion.
ross.cheeks
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Refer my early posts.

Postby Gordo » 20 Aug 2008, 12:52

They do take a reasonable amount of rev's but, TBH, unless you've got a lot of work in the engine and a big cam', it isn't any point - I've seen over 7k5 a few times on a stock bottom end (crack tested and sensibly built) but it really ran out of breath around 6k7-8.
I put up a fairly lengthy post about some reasonably easy and cheap mod's that made a BIG difference to one of mine but it helps if you've access to some basic head working gear and have some mechanical ability.
ttfn

Gordo
Gordo
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Return to Engine & Gearbox