L61 engine... bike carbs?

From the humble 1256 to meaty V8`s, swaps, rebuilds, tunning, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

L61 engine... bike carbs?

Postby CancerWagon » 28 Dec 2007, 10:29

The L61, found in Astras, Vectas, and the vx220.... both my cavaliers had this engine, and I'm rather fond of it. Would love to put one into my 78, to eventually replace c3po.... thanks Doive for naming the engine. :lol:

Already found a RWD gearbox to fit, and an ignition system... however

But what I'd love some information on is ditching the modern electronica for a Bike-carb setup. If anyone can lend some advice for what kind of carbs to look for, or how to determine what kind I need it would be greatly appreciated.
Chris W.
Drifting in a 55 hp Diesel... what?
"Erfolg durch Qualit├Ąt."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby mikuni » 14 Jan 2008, 02:21

Heres a couple of links mate
http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewto ... 59&start=0
http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewto ... 61&start=0

I looked into this in detail when I did my ecotec conversion which I imagine is a similar engine to what you are looking at.

I even had a set of R1 carbs but in the end I went with fuel injection for a couple of reasons.

With the XE they have a distributor and it is a little easier to manipulate this to make a signal for spark. The ecotec uses only sensors so you really need an ecu to translate this to create a signal to the coils for spark.

So, for your engine if it is easy to get an electronic distributor on there then I would put an early one on and run a conventional coil setup and if it doesn't then I would splash on an aftermarket ecu and enjoy the benifits that fuel injection offers 8)
1980 Vauxhall Chevette Estate
mikuni
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby CancerWagon » 15 Jan 2008, 06:50

This is helpful! :D

For the ignition, I was going to mount a NA 1600cc chevette dizzy with a toothed belt drive from the camshaft end, mounting it at 180 deg.

They're a electronic solid state self contained unit, same module is used in V8 dizzys of simmilar vintage, good for 6000+ rpm I don't plan on revving any engine much past 7000, and where the dizzy will be good for about 12000 :lol: should do alright.
Chris W.
Drifting in a 55 hp Diesel... what?
"Erfolg durch Qualit├Ąt."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Gordo » 15 Jan 2008, 09:54

If you do look at engine management, you should be able to either machine the requisite numver of teeth (plus master or TDC indicator) onto the front crank hub, or have something machined up. That way you can batch fire the injectors and ignition - it's used quite often as it doesn't matter if you haven't got something to indicate if the engine is TDC compression/ignition or overlap of exhaust/intake.
ttfn

Gordo
Gordo
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Return to Engine & Gearbox