Water temp guage question XE

From the humble 1256 to meaty V8`s, swaps, rebuilds, tunning, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Water temp guage question XE

Postby topi » 11 Jul 2007, 23:39

Bit of a dumb one.

Done my C20XE in the '78 Kadett now. But don't wanna run it for long because the temp gauge doesn't work.

Now the sensor that screws into the engine has 2 terminals coming from it. And so I wired one terminal to the wire going to the dash, and earthed the other terminal.

Nothing happens :S

Checked the wire at the dash end to the sensor end and theres continuity, and the earth is ok.

Surely it should work?
topi
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Gordo » 12 Jul 2007, 10:04

I'll have to check on Saturday, I've two XEs, one still in a Calibra and one with the SBD208 EFI kit on it.
However, I'm pretty damn sure there are TWO temperature sender units - one with a quick connector and two terminals which is for the ECU to monitor coolant temp'. The second is a single terminal which grounds the wire from the gauge - this is the one you should be using.
If yours isn't like this, just pick up a single terminal type with the same thread for a direct replacement.
ttfn

Gordo
Gordo
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby andy » 12 Jul 2007, 14:32

i think your trying to use the wrong sensor there shud be another one right next to it with just the one pin on it, the one you are trying to use is the coolant temp sensor for the ECU.

Just take that to the gauge ground the gauge and it should work.
andy
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby topi » 12 Jul 2007, 14:40

Aaaah. So it's that funny little bit sticking out just below it. Not sure what I could get to connect to it, but I'll give it a try! Thanks alot guys.
topi
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby topi » 12 Jul 2007, 17:43

Hmmm I've put the wire into the single bit near the thermostat, but still nothing.

I take it the guage needle should move a little when you turn the ignition on?
topi
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby andy » 12 Jul 2007, 22:51

have you got live signal and earth on the gauge, and temp sensors dont move very quickly at the best of times so you may need to run it for a little while to see a difference.
andy
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby bones » 15 Jul 2007, 13:09

Hi Topi, If you use a normal spade conecter to conect to the temp sender that should sort that out. Also you might have an air lock , as I had a few prob's with my xe. Sorted it by adding a bleed screw near where the heater pipes go through the bulkhead, but I suppose every engine instalation is different ..
bones
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Return to Engine & Gearbox