Engine swap? which one?

From the humble 1256 to meaty V8`s, swaps, rebuilds, tunning, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Engine swap? which one?

Postby Chevette_Rwd_Beast » 27 Nov 2006, 21:02

ok I'm thinking about doing an engine transplant in the chevette, I'm only doing some research the now because this will be a long term project, but I can't decide what route to go with what engine? box? prop (I think I'll need a custom prop?)? and axle? will all mate up and make a good combo,

heres a few ideas I have...

Engine:
2.0 Zetec
2.0 XE
2.0 pinto
n/a cosworth
1.6 x-flow ?

Gearbox
type 9
manta 1.8 or 2.0 box
T5 cosworth box

Axle
manta A
manta B
possible ford axle? English? Atlas? (don't know much about the ford axles)

I would like something lightweight with some power but I'm not looking for mega power just yet, you need to crawl before you walk ;)

cheers
Gaz
If Its Not Sideways...Your Not Trying Hard Enough!!! 8)
Chevette_Rwd_Beast
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby SNVX » 27 Nov 2006, 23:39

If it were me doing a swop mate i would go for the XE over all the other choice's manta or a type 9 gearbox & a manta A rear axle unless you are thinking of arching the car
SNVX
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby UpNorth » 28 Nov 2006, 11:29

If you think you'll want power later do it now - there's no point doing a job twice!

Engine:
Anyhow out of the engines you've mentioned there's only two I'd consider, and they're the XE & cossie lump. Mind you, if you're prepared to lash out on a decent cossie lump I'd seriously have a look at the T16 turbo which is a refugee out of the bigger Rovers - similar spec., same power, 1/10 of the price! I think one of the car modification magazines ran a feature on the T16T a few months ago.

Gearbox:
Decide on the motor & the gearbox desicion will be made easier for you.

Axle:
If you want to retain the standard bodywork you'll have to go for a Manta A.
If you're happy to stick on some arch extensions then the world's your oyster - although Manta B/Cavalier will obviously be easier. If you're prepared to install other axles then you might as well open your horizons as whatever you decide will require a load of hard work.
Anyone have a 6R4 for sale? Unfortunately I've only got £1K spare but I could throw in a few eggs to sweeten the deal!
UpNorth
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby CR500Dom » 28 Nov 2006, 14:51

First things first.....

How much power are you aiming for realistically ?

That will dictate the choices for the rest of the driveline and chassis

Remember 150hp in something the weight of a chevette is going to make a serious tool :wink:
CR500Dom
Upsetter of "The Purists"
Upsetter of "The Purists"

Postby Chevette_Rwd_Beast » 28 Nov 2006, 17:44

never thought about it like that Dom :)

as for arching the car, I probably will just depending on which axle comes up for sale first

realistically the power I would hope for is over or around 130bhp so I don't blow all my budget on an engine, incase I need arches, custom prop etc

it's my hatchback I'm doing this to, would the prop need to be custom made if I used manta box and axle ?
If Its Not Sideways...Your Not Trying Hard Enough!!! 8)
Chevette_Rwd_Beast
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Return to Engine & Gearbox