Chassis or Cross Member Mount?

From the humble 1256 to meaty V8`s, swaps, rebuilds, tunning, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Chassis or Cross Member Mount?

Postby Galgeth » 11 Nov 2006, 22:40

I am at a critical stage. Do I mount my engine on the crossmember (relatively straightforward) or do I fabricate some chassis mounts and get the engine sitting further back and possibly a bit lower? Anyone out there who has fitted a redtop into their chevette, your comments would be most usefull!

As i see it to mount the engine on the cross member is advantageous because less strain is transmitted through the shell. Obviously the points where the subframe and front suspension mount to the shell will require some reinforcement but not as much if the engine was chassis mounted! Has anyone attempted strengthening the crossmember or is it beefy enough already?

Chassis mounting the engine will allow me to position it lower and further back. There is alot more work involved but I am sure it will pay off! Anyone? My only concern is the stress it will put on the shell and the amount of strengthening needed. Not only is this a pain but it will also add weight negating any previous gain from chassis mounting the engine?

What would you all suggest?

Cheers

P.S Engine will be pushing 200 bhp
Galgeth
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby UpNorth » 12 Nov 2006, 10:54

Chassis mounting everytime for all the reasons you state + the crossmember wasn't designed to support an engine.

Don't worry about 200bhp in a Chevette - it'll be no problem at all.
Anyone have a 6R4 for sale? Unfortunately I've only got £1K spare but I could throw in a few eggs to sweeten the deal!
UpNorth
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby CR500Dom » 12 Nov 2006, 13:12

Yep Chassis mount it and seam/stitchweld the inner wing to chassis rail joint 8)

There are some pics in my members cars thread if you want to see how I did it with the Zetec SE

Cheers
Dom
CR500Dom
Upsetter of "The Purists"
Upsetter of "The Purists"

Postby Galgeth » 18 Nov 2006, 21:05

UpNorth wrote: the crossmember wasn't designed to support an engine.

Can you elaborate on this? I thought it was the other way around!

I guess if I chassis mount it i wont be able to use my manta engine mounts :(
Galgeth
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Return to Engine & Gearbox