Ecotec RWD 5 speed manual gearbox (found one!)

From the humble 1256 to meaty V8`s, swaps, rebuilds, tunning, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Ecotec RWD 5 speed manual gearbox (found one!)

Postby CancerWagon » 02 Nov 2006, 01:52

Thanks again to wikipedia and a little further research, I have found a currently in production RWD gearbox that will attach to an ecotec platform engine :D

GM part # 12580064
Found in: pontiac soltice roadster, canyon/colarado pickup lorrys.
Costs: $1000 - $1300 spanking new at your local dealer

I'm going to go find a soltice at a local dealer this weekish and get a look at the Ecotec oil sump, as there is a chance it may be compatible to work around a chevette chassis :D

I've seen crinkled cavaliers in scrapyards with ecotecs, but have yet to see any of thoes lorries in the same perdicament... but I'll be checking!
Last edited by CancerWagon on 02 Nov 2006, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.
Chris W.
Drifting in a 55 hp Diesel... what?
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby mikuni » 02 Nov 2006, 08:26

Hey mate. I'm actually doing exactly the same thing at the moment! I'm trying to get the sump off so I can measure it up against the earlier model singlecam 8v astra/vectra motors.

My sump has the bowl at the front of the motor (cambelt end) while the one I'm after has the bowl at the rear (gearbox end) making it suitable for a rwd application. I was hoping the ecotec sump woulf work but no such luck.

I've also found a gearbox to suit. I assume you wouldn't have got them there but we have a car called a Holden Commodore and the VN model came out with a 4 cylinder engine similar to the 8v I spoke about up there. I have measured the bellhousings and they seem identical. The commodore may have been realised elsewhere as Chevvy Luminar (sp?) Vauxhall/Opel Omega etc etc. The sump off these is still a forward bowl though so it won't work in a chevette.
1980 Vauxhall Chevette Estate
mikuni
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby CancerWagon » 02 Nov 2006, 09:21

My daily driver is a FWD cavalier with a ecotec, and it has the forward bowl. :evil: I'm HOPING the RWD ecotecs, (soltice etc.) have a different sump.

There was a "Lumina" around here but it was FWD. The domestic NA auto market is most all FWD since the beginning of the 90s. With a few exceptions.
Sadly there are plenty of really nifty vehicles GM won't bring to north america, holdens inclusive. A whole line of really great stuff... that seem to only exist in south america.

My end goal is to eventually build up a chevette, using more modern technology. However, also keeping the overall car to look stock. It's actually pretty hard to find a basic 'no frills' auto now. My "base model" modern car is "loaded" according to 1978 standards. :?
Chris W.
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby flexbuttcheck1 » 02 Nov 2006, 21:00

cadillac catera gearbox should hang off the bottom of a ecotec engine for all you north americans as this was just a badge engineered vauxhall omega with the 3.0 v6 vauxhall ecotec engine which has the same bolt pattern as the 4 cylinder! hope this is of some use! :D
flexbuttcheck1
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby 1000er » 02 Nov 2006, 23:36

we mostly use the getrag 240 gearbox and the sump of a Opel Manta 1,8S, which has a 1,8 OHC engine, to fit a DOHC to a chevette or kadett c.

gearbox is the same as from a opel rekord 1,8S.
but i'm afraid, there will be no such car in canada or new zealand... :?
1000er
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby CancerWagon » 03 Nov 2006, 03:22

I remember the catera... has a little yellow duck as a mascot. Not sure if they only had automatic gearboxes or not.

Also useful info for finding a V6 for my cavalier, without ditching the gearbox. :D
Chris W.
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby rodgerq » 09 Dec 2006, 14:05

as said the manta sump will do the job

rodgerq
rodgerq
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby CancerWagon » 10 Dec 2006, 00:54

Can anyone find or lookup a part# :?:

The local stealerships have no clue what I'm talking about and can't look them up. However supplied a part# they can get most anything.... often not knowing what it is untill it arrives, unless I tell 'em. :lol:
Chris W.
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby rodgerq » 10 Dec 2006, 15:53

my EPC doesnt include mantas. TJM can get you a sump to fit the XE for RWD conversions - this will fit the ecotec family of big block 16v engines.

rodgerq
rodgerq
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby mikuni » 11 Dec 2006, 09:35

Yeah well I guess you just have to be carefull on where the oil pump is sitting. I was going to convert my ecotec to rear sump but found a dirty great oil pump hanging out the bottom, effectively meaning I can no longer use the engine. Single cam block with ecotec head it is for me then. No doubt that will raise yet more issues. Damn I hate cars.
mikuni
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby rodgerq » 11 Dec 2006, 17:47

unsure what the single cam block is like over there but over here its essentially the same as the 16v block with a few minor differences. oil pump location is the same(cam belt side of the engine)

as i say maybe there are differences over there. i can show you pics of what they are like here if you wish to see them

rodgerq
rodgerq
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby CancerWagon » 12 Dec 2006, 12:32

I'm starting to agree that the engine was not designed for a RWD application. The solstice I got a look at, has the frame designed around the same sump as my FWD 05 interceptor.

(the following may be an incredibly stupid idea, the possibility of completely srewing over the steering geometry is incredibly high, but will never know for sure untill I try it, and not have a conclusive answer for probably a year)

Armed with a pair of chevette diesels I'm picking up in the next few weeks, (disposable rotted chassis or two) I'm going to reasearch (experiment) the possibility of modifying the crossmember/steering to go around a ecotec engine. IE: reversing the wheel hub assemblies right to left and moving the rack and pinion rearward, rebuilding the crossmember to support the new rack position.

"BUT THE STEERING WILL BE BACKWARDS!" I hear people cry... flipping a rack upside down will correct that, but place the linkage on a RHD position.... what if I flip a vauxall rack upside down? :twisted:
Last edited by CancerWagon on 14 Dec 2006, 05:15, edited 1 time in total.
Chris W.
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby rodgerq » 12 Dec 2006, 17:50

hat exact theory has been used on a RWD nova that i know of.

rodgerq
rodgerq
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby CancerWagon » 13 Dec 2006, 05:07

Do you know if they have they had much (if any) success?
Chris W.
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby rodgerq » 13 Dec 2006, 17:45

yes the car is used regularly at car shows/track days over here in the uk. i will see if i can find some pics of it

rodgerq
rodgerq
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby mikuni » 15 Dec 2006, 11:30

rodgerq wrote:unsure what the single cam block is like over there but over here its essentially the same as the 16v block with a few minor differences. oil pump location is the same(cam belt side of the engine)

as i say maybe there are differences over there. i can show you pics of what they are like here if you wish to see them

rodgerq

Yeap, they probably are the same. But by '16v' I'm assuming you mean the red top c20xe, which is different to the ecotec. The ecotecs oil pump is burried deep within the sump on FWD Opel Vectra B's. There are other models which came with a suitable rear sump, but I'm yet to find evidence of their existance.

Regardless of these facts, I'm worried that the GM Ecotec that I'm guessing cancer wagon is using differs from the opel/vauxhall ecotec that I will be using. I know they look very different in the pictures I have seen but I haven't looked at the specs of the GM ecotec. And yes I know they were all made by GM, I'm just using the names that they are commonly refered to as.
mikuni
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby CancerWagon » 16 Dec 2006, 00:49

This is the ecotec 2200cc engine I'm refering to, has a internal chain drive for the cams:

Chris W.
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby mikuni » 16 Dec 2006, 05:40

Yeap, thats what I was meaning. In the states the ecotec is the GM engine, where as everywhere else in the world when talking about the ecotec engine people assume you are meaning the vauxhall/opel/holden model, which seems to be a similar motor and is available in many sizes.

I can't find a decent pic, but this is a 2.2L ecotec from the other markets. Its cams are belt driven and you can see there are many differences, although I'm not sure how many similarities there are as we don't have the GM ecotec over here.

mikuni
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby rodgerq » 16 Dec 2006, 17:03

ah my mistake, sorry

rodgerq
rodgerq
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby CancerWagon » 16 Dec 2006, 22:54

BLAST! and here Ihad the impression it was a global platform. :evil: damn you GM!
Chris W.
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Return to Engine & Gearbox