Bellhousings.

From the humble 1256 to meaty V8`s, swaps, rebuilds, tunning, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhousings.

Postby Good Frosty » 05 Feb 2006, 05:00

I know that a American Chevette has either a TH-180 or TH-200 transmission behind it. But, is there any other motors which will bolt to this transmission or bellhousing?

I thought about a 2.8 or 3.1 V6 might bolt to it, since I think these transmissions were used behind these motors also, but Chevettes are strange cars. So i'm not sure.

I'm not really looking for the transmission or rearend to last very long anyway, and I could probably make the motor mounts.

-GF
Good Frosty
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Harry Flatters » 05 Feb 2006, 10:02

I know other GM cars use these transmissions, but I couldn't tell you what off the top of my head.
Harry Flatters
Photographer of the year 2006

Postby Shellysowner » 05 Feb 2006, 10:10

Well I don't know about the TH180 but I'm pretty sure they used the TH200 in the Camaro/Firebird. I know the Camaro ran the 2.8 V6 so by this logic you should be able to bolt up a 2.8 without any problems. I'm guessing that since they are both part of the GM 60 degree family that this applies to the 3.1 as well. Hopefully someone from your side of the pond will be able to straighten you out a little better - I know that a couple of people on the forum have attempted/are attempting similar conversions although they don't log on very often so be patient! What's the plan for your Chevette? Just a fast road/fun car, a street/strip car or something else? Either way, welcome to the forum!
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby Good Frosty » 06 Feb 2006, 01:03

I was just planning on making a Chevette that would run-turn left or right, and go backwards. Thats why I though about the no-rear suspension set-up. Whatever can make the car simpler and easier to put together.

-BH21
Good Frosty
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Harry Flatters » 06 Feb 2006, 08:19

What's a 'run-turn'?
Harry Flatters

Postby Good Frosty » 08 Feb 2006, 02:13

"Run-Turn" was a mistake, Run, turn was what I meaned to say.

The 2.8 V6 wasn't used in the Camaros, was it? I thought that the 3.1's were the only ones used in the Third generation, I think the "Disco" Camaros used the 2.8.

I found a nice scooter today, but it had engine problems, I'm thinking that maybe this might be the car to do the swap in, I'm hoping to find a T.B.I 2.8 or 3.1 to put in the car, and make it a communter vehicle (Hoping for a best of 25-mpg)

A Throttle Body spacer, dual-exhaust, and some other cheap things might be able to get some more mileage out of the motor, along with an oil change and some cleaning.

The local junkyard is going out of business, and he has a whole garage full of "Space-Junk" Throttle Body V6's, which he has pulled from cars over the past 20-years. Before he killed all the cars in his yard, there were several 3rd-Gen Camaros, and there has been hundreds of S-10s pass through there over the years, so hopefully i can get everything together for the swap.

-BH21

I scrolled down the page not too long ago and found another topic like this, so I'm sorry If i'm repeating history.
Good Frosty
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Return to Engine & Gearbox