used 1256 engine and box fitment

From the humble 1256 to meaty V8`s, swaps, rebuilds, tunning, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 10 Jan 2006, 20:35

shuvit-tim wrote:I have also noticed that the furthe rin i push it the harde r it becomes to turn the propshaft. Any ideas?

yea, the splines on the propshaft are lining up with the splines on the 'box mainshaft.
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby Harry Flatters » 10 Jan 2006, 23:02

Tim, are you sure the prop needs to go in further? Can you not get the flange at the torque tube to mate up? This may be a stupid question, but you know the splined tube doesn't go fully home? If you look on the outside of the splined tube, there should be a clean section (maybe now rusty) and a painted or discoloured section - the line between the two marks where the gearbox rear oil seal runs and is how far in it goes.
Harry Flatters
Photographer of the year 2006

Postby shuvit-tim » 10 Jan 2006, 23:23

nah it's not fully in. it's just over an inch form that line and the prop flange needs to be that amount forwards to fit in. I tried dropping the torque tube to the floor, hoping i ocul dline it up like that and then jack it up, thus pushing the prop forwards as it raised, but the dro pdidnt make enough difference for me to fit the flanges together :(
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 10 Jan 2006, 23:59

do you not have a BFO hammer 'Young Tim'?
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby shuvit-tim » 11 Jan 2006, 00:16

i do but i was reluctrant to use 'timmy' (mallet).

I think I may have sussed the problem.. it al lcomes down to that spring. follow this through....

The spring should initially sit in the prop, inside the splines. This is then pushe dinto the gearbox, and the spring is pushed back INSIDE the prop end.

As it stands, the spring is in the gearbox, and if the spring didnt sit within the prop end as it was pushed in, the spring would not push inot the prop end and would be stuck against the oil seal stopping th eprop sliding any further - thus 'timmy' would break the oil seal. Now i just need to work out how to get the fecking spring out :?

make sense?

Tim
shuvit-tim

Postby shuvit-tim » 11 Jan 2006, 19:22

:evil: she hates me :cry:

the prop wont go in for love nor money. i've reasoned in my mind that the spring in the gearbox around the mainshaft shouldnt be there and the one for the prop isnt there. To cut a long story short i'm now getting a gearbox and prop off mark.

On the plus side, engine is almost finished, the only things remaining to do are:

-adjust the alternator to tighten the fan belt
- find a home for one more water pipe (the long one that goes all the way along the bulkhead)
- find a temperature sender or a connector to fit the existing one
- find bolts to bolt the rad in (its sat loosely, plumbed in)
- change filters and add oil and water
- bolt exhaust manifold to downpipe
- double check everything
- put in battery
-

Tim
shuvit-tim

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 11 Jan 2006, 19:47

you great big jessie. did you spit your dummy out as well?
1 - the spring can't go any further into the prop, it gets compressed.
2 - looking in the Haynes it appears there is a circlip on the mainshaft which, i suspect, prevents the spring going too far into the 'box. is this present?
3 - the sliding end of the propshaft goes "inside" the rear oil seal so how can the spring, which sits inside the end of the prop damage it?
4 - i can't believe how much of a mountain out of a molehill your making of this. may i suggest you give up auto repairs and go back to studying the amount of shlt in the sea around Aber :)
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby shuvit-tim » 12 Jan 2006, 00:34

Herbie_Flowers wrote:you great big jessie. did you spit your dummy out as well?
1 - the spring can't go any further into the prop, it gets compressed.
2 - looking in the Haynes it appears there is a circlip on the mainshaft which, i suspect, prevents the spring going too far into the 'box. is this present?
3 - the sliding end of the propshaft goes "inside" the rear oil seal so how can the spring, which sits inside the end of the prop damage it?
4 - i can't believe how much of a mountain out of a molehill your making of this. may i suggest you give up auto repairs and go back to studying the amount of shlt in the sea around Aber :)

the spring inside the prop end - which i presume necessary, isnt there. The prop WILL NOT (i've had myself and a brickie trying to force it) slide in. Circlip is a possibility, but it's difficult to see with the gearbox in place and without a decetn lift to get the car high enough to inspect.

The reason i'm giving up and going with a new prop and box is simple - i can bottom around with this for 3 days with no gurantee of success or i could just do half a days work, earn 30 quid and buy a prop and box that is all tickedy boo, simple logistics!

Tim
shuvit-tim

Postby Harry Flatters » 12 Jan 2006, 07:34

Tim, you're probably right not to mess about, if you can get the 'box and prop.

Out of interest, does the prop slide easily up the splines to a point and then go tight, or is it tight all the way up? If the former, does it go hard up against something or if you force it can you persuade it to creep a bit further? If so does it then come free immediately when you try to remove it or does it take some pulling?
Harry Flatters

Postby shuvit-tim » 12 Jan 2006, 09:16

it slides in easily for about an inch. It then stops fairly abruptly, but can be forced in about another half an inch. It then takes a lot of pulling to get it back out. I'm going to take the box off again today and have a hunt for a circlip. I may as well as the alternative option invoves taking the box off anyway! If I cant find a circlip it will also be easier ot try and force the prop in with the box on a bench in front of me.

Tim
shuvit-tim

Postby Harry Flatters » 12 Jan 2006, 19:42

Shouldn't need forcing. If it's not the spring there's something up. Gissa ring.
Harry Flatters

Postby shuvit-tim » 20 Apr 2007, 21:57

*bump*

casting my mind back to this whole prop issue.....

Tim
shuvit-tim

Postby Harry Flatters » 20 Apr 2007, 22:27

Two whom it may concern, this discussion is now spread across two other threads here and here. To avoid confusion should we stick to this one? I may have a box if Mr. Squirrel hasn't, I'll look this weekend.
Harry Flatters

Previous

Return to Engine & Gearbox