C20LET (XE turbo)

From the humble 1256 to meaty V8`s, swaps, rebuilds, tunning, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Shuvitnav » 21 Oct 2005, 19:16

To be honest i would be just as sceptical as Wilson regarding these Powermaps conversions, were it not for the fact that my mate had the conversion and it made a significant improvement in performance. And he's no boy racer type who's easily lead either, he knows his stuff concerning engines.

I also know this guys got a lot of other customers (not all C20LET engines)who are chuffed to bits with his work.
Shuvitnav
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 21 Oct 2005, 21:55

wilsonc001 wrote:your everyday engine tuner/modifier isn't going to be worried about.

that's why i wrote this bit
Herbie_Flowers wrote:the more boost the higher the compression hence high boosting engines blow head gaskets more often.

i must admit i was getting confused, but i knew what i meant, as of course the CR is fixed on a pressurised system it just increases the dynamic CR.
Shuvitnav wrote:(swept volume + clearance volume) / clearance volume

how does this formula work out the CR? why would you add the clearance volume to the swept volume?
i already gave the formula for working out the CR
Herbie_Flowers wrote:Compression Ratio is the ratio of the volume above the piston at TDC compared with the volume at BDC.

Shuvitnav wrote:Meaning the air in the cylinder is above atmospheric pressure (pressurised) before the compression stroke even begins, hence why turbo engines have lower compression ratios because if they didn't detonation would occur.

turbo engines have a lower CR because more air/fuel is forced into the engine than a normally aspirated one thus increasing it's dynamic CR, power and fuel economy.
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Previous

Return to Engine & Gearbox