Weight difference between 1.2 & 1.8 engines???

From the humble 1256 to meaty V8`s, swaps, rebuilds, tunning, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Weight difference between 1.2 & 1.8 engines???

Postby nutty but nice » 09 Oct 2005, 15:21

As above as i'm not sure what spings to go for the 1.8 engine 1.2 1.6 or 2.0 kadett lowering springs?
nutty but nice

Postby nutty but nice » 10 Oct 2005, 19:41

Anyone
nutty but nice

Postby Harry Flatters » 10 Oct 2005, 20:58

Assume you're talking about the 1.8 OHC Family 2 engine as used in the Manta 1.8 and front wheel drive Vauxhalls?

Don't know what the weight is; they're regarded as being a heavy-ish engine by modern standards, but the construction is lighter than the 1.2 and they're alloy head, so I'd be surprised if they're that much heavier - say around 50 lb / 25 kg at most.

By 1.6 and 2.0 Kadett springs I assume you're talking about RWD Kadetts (B and C models)? No confusion with FWD (Astra type)? The RWD 1.6 and 2.0 used the Opel CIH engine like the Manta GT/E, and they're big old iron lumps. This means the springs for a given use are likely to be over beefy for a 1.8.

You probably wouldn't be far out with something that'd suit a 2.0 XE conversion, as they're only slightly heavier, but I've not done or driven an XE so that's only a guess.

Having said this, what springs to go for probably depends on what you what to do with the car and how stiff you want it to be - personal preference really. I've an idea what I'd go for but that may not suit you; best thing to do is probably ring Tim at TJM, maybe Ian Jemison and the like and find out what they'd advise and what they've got available.
Harry Flatters
Photographer of the year 2006
Photographer of the year 2006

Postby nutty but nice » 10 Oct 2005, 21:40

Sorry i should have been more specific, i'm wanting to fit the 1.8s which originates from the manta as you've said.
I've bought some bilstein shocks, i've seen that spax & avo do springs for 1.2, 1.6, & 2.0 kadett all lowering springs, due to the weight issue i'm not sure what poundadge would be ok for the 1.8.

Thanks
nutty but nice

Postby shuvit-tim » 11 Oct 2005, 09:36

didnt we establish you could just use manta springs? are you using billies from a manta GTE or have you paid through the nose?
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter

Postby nutty but nice » 11 Oct 2005, 17:05

I bought shortend bilstein shocks not standard bilstein replacements.

I'll give tjm a call when the time comes
nutty but nice

Return to Engine & Gearbox