20xe mounting problems

From the humble 1256 to meaty V8`s, swaps, rebuilds, tunning, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

20xe mounting problems

Postby andy » 28 Aug 2005, 22:33

i am having trouble mounting my xe into my chevette i came to do it today and have found that the passenger side (exhaust side) is a good few inches away from the mounting point on the crossmember rubber engine mount bit. i have got the long manta/xe metal mount on the drivers side (inlet side) and short one on the other side, the engine is in the middle on the engine bay but i just cant join the passenger side mount as its way too short! How have people mounted there 2.0 16v's or 8 v's to get around this problem?
andy
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby shuvit-tim » 29 Aug 2005, 00:05

i would imagine steve (hsr2.6) would be the man to chat to on this, give him a pm if you dont get a response on here.

if all else fails but you are happy with the position of the engine a set of custom competition engine mounts should set you back about £100
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter

Postby hsr2.6 » 30 Aug 2005, 22:22

i use chassis mounted engine mounts on mine,the one thing you might have to do as i've done on mine,where the chassis rail meets the body there's a gusset type plate that goes onto the bottom by the lower wishbone mount,i had to take it off to get the manifold to fit under the floorpan .When it's all in make a floor brace from lower mount to lower mount to get the strength back in......................oh that way you don't have to chop the manifold to fit..........
rally drivers do it sideways.............well the quick ones do....................
hsr2.6
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby MSJMOTORS » 06 Sep 2005, 21:01

Hello there

New to the site and was wondering if you had sorted out the fitment issues out on the xe install and i was wondering if you could post your findings as i may require this info in the not so near future

good luck anyway

Baz
MSJ For all Your Aston Martin Needs From a DB2/4 To The Vanquish and all thats in between
We Cater For All AML'S And Most Prestige/Performance Cars.....0161 436 1967
MSJMOTORS
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby iety2004 » 07 Sep 2005, 11:06

when you say chassis mounted, i take it you secure the engine mounts to the front chassis legs and not the cross member as standard?

can you buy kits for this or is it a custom make job? :?
I ain't getting in no plane!
iety2004
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Mantadoc » 07 Sep 2005, 13:47

Bear in mind I used to have a Chevette hatch with a CIH engine in.
It used Standard steel mounts and two large bobbin mounts, maybe ford.

So everything should fit on the crossmember.

Both Manta CIH and Family II engines could have two types of mounts on the left. A long one (if using two identical rubbers) or a short one (if using the big round mount).

If the mount is short and at a funny angle chances are the left mount is off a later model car with the round mount.

I usually swap this kind out as it tears up easy. FYI swapping to Monza/senator mounts at same height and 50% more rubber is a good upgrade.
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby andy » 07 Sep 2005, 19:50

well i havent actually finished mounting the xe yet.

I am using what i was told to be the family two manta metal engine mounts one is short and one is long. and im using some big round rubber parts which attach to the crossmember. to sort ou the problem im having i was just going to extend the passenger side mount on the crossmember so that it will fit but i have a feeling its going to be abit trial and error.

Another question i have is how have people gone about mounting the gearbox (im using a manta 1.8 box) i have the gearselector lining up in the centre of the chevette hole but it is a little bit towards the rear. is this right?
andy
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Return to Engine & Gearbox