Grim B

Like Neily's Alloys? Think its about time that Dave started the resto on his Saloon? Tell them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Grim B

Postby Shellysowner » 31 May 2005, 15:11

£200 to fit rear seat belts?!?!? :shock: Are they singing or dancing seatbelts? Do they also a act as a full rollcage?

As for the tape thing - that's rediculous, are the garage gonna pay for the damage they caused? I personally just lay a couple of sizeable dustsheets over the wings - seems to do the job.
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby grim_b » 31 May 2005, 15:16

Yeah £200. The missus said she would rather pay £200 for a complete stranger who has never worked on a Chevette to fit the belts then her husband who could probablt pull on the newly fitted belts just as good.....

Women ay?

The garage say the damage was already done..... Bar Stewards!
I loved my car, but she has to go.... :(
grim_b
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Shellysowner » 31 May 2005, 15:24

Oh dear - nothing like a bit of support from the other 1/2 is there?!? As for the garage - I would've been p*ss*d off.... did you argue with them?.... say you had witnesses of the car being fine before it was taken in? Go to the local paper?
Shellysowner

Postby grim_b » 31 May 2005, 15:38

The question is would it of gotten me anywhere other than more expensive MOTs in future?

I think myself lucky... My in-laws took their car in for a service the other week and after paying the hefty charge they drove 30 miles up the road and found that they had no brakes.... :shock: :x

After a quick handbrake job they called the garage who said "Oh yes Mrs X we know... We were trying to get hold of you" :shock:

It amazed me but my in-laws took no action and didn't even ask for their money back.

Turns out that even though the problem has been resolved, their brakes seem to travel half way before anything happens......

The worst thing I think is that there wasn't anything wrong with the brakes in the first place...... :!:

What is the world coming too....
grim_b
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Shellysowner » 31 May 2005, 15:40

grim_b wrote:The question is would it of gotten me anywhere other than more expensive MOTs in future?

How come you can't just take it to a different garage in future?
Shellysowner

Postby grim_b » 31 May 2005, 15:41

Its happened in two garages now.

I will leave instructions next year.
grim_b
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Shellysowner » 31 May 2005, 15:46

This is why I take my car to the garage down the road on the understanding that they won't get any work out of me no matter what they say. When I want tyres, I take the wheels off and drive/ get driven with them down to ATS and if I need anything really serious doing (like re-drilling boltholes or something else I don't have the equipment for) I take the car to a place owned by a guy my old man went to school with.
Shellysowner

Postby Doive » 31 May 2005, 15:49

I have never ever heard of a garage where they stuck tape on the wings of a car before working on it. I wouldn't take a matchbox car to such a place, sounds like it is populated by morons. All new mechanics have to do now is a course in college, get themselves a piece of paper and they can work on whatwever they like. I have heard of time served mechanics (20 years+) being turned down because they don't have the appropriate bits of paper, instead the garage chose some newbies. Like the Krap Fit up the road from me that has a 17 year old 'brake expert'. Expert my bottom. Wouldn't let him within ten feet of my brakes. I could do a better job, and I don't have any bits of paper. Mechanics now don't get to serve their time like they did 20 years ago - if it doesn't come up on the computer they aren't interested. Gone are the days when the bloke could diagnose it by ear.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Shellysowner » 31 May 2005, 15:52

Indeed - I dare say most of the forum users are a lot better mechanics than many people who do it for a job! In fact I can think of a couple of aquaintances of mine of whom this is true!!!
Shellysowner

Postby Doive » 31 May 2005, 16:03

I've heard the abominable snowman is quite a good mechanic, although from past experience I would doubt this.

I reckon in all seriousness I'd do a better job than most of the so-called experts out there. And that isn't me blowing my own trumpet, that's just a reflection of the general poor standard of mechanic skills out there now. I am only reasonably competent with a socket set, but still better than some others who are supposed to be trained professionals.

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby grim_b » 31 May 2005, 16:05

Ah yes, but your "The Man" doive :)

I have only played with timing, brakes, Carb cleaning and basic services....

Oh and I can change a wheel! ! !

:)
G.
grim_b
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Doive » 31 May 2005, 16:09

Well I haven't touched the carb or the timing, so it would appear you are much more 'the man' than I am! My timing chain is starting to rattle though, so I'd need to do something with it - only have about 30k miles to sort that out. The carb needs a good overhaul as well, the damper o-ring is totally perished. Running optimax with an octane booster at the moment, so performance is 'sprightly'.

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Shellysowner » 31 May 2005, 16:15

Doive wrote:Running optimax with an octane booster at the moment, so performance is 'sprightly'.

:shock: Doive's special petrol - 200 RON!
Shellysowner

Postby grim_b » 31 May 2005, 16:18

I was given a thing called a colortune for engines. Basically it is a see through spark plug that you put on the engine and connect up. Its quite impressive as it lets you see (assumung you do it in the dark) into the engine and see the burn color... You spend some time twidling the mixture screw and bobs your uncle a nice blue burn.... Miles to the gallon go through the roof and the little 1256 gives great pickup on acceleration.....

But you is definatley "The Man"

G.
grim_b
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Neilyman » 31 May 2005, 16:22

They ain`t mechanics anymore, they are `parts swappers` !
`pooter diagnoses fault & reports it...`mechanic` swaps the offending part...Job done!

<Neily puts on asbestos suit, awaiting flames>

A couple of months back, I had a new clutch fitted, as I couldn`t be ar$ed doing it laying on my back, took it to a garage up from me....no problem said the guy, it`s only a Chevette, dead simple. Had him fit new caliper brake pipe while the car was there too.

Result......within 3 days of getting car back, starter motor fell off. Front wheel nearly fell off, all nuts loose, & speedo cable leaking gearbox oil at spedo head, `cos they`d lost the oil seal from the g/box end. that`s why I still need a speedo drive, the oil filled cable is too much for the nylon drive to spin, so it`s given up & gone home! :(
Neilyman
Admin and dirty rotten egg!

Postby Neilyman » 31 May 2005, 16:23

grim_b wrote:I was given a thing called a colortune

Didn`t think they still made them!
Neilyman

Postby grim_b » 31 May 2005, 16:27

They dont....

Mine be well old!!!
grim_b
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby grim_b » 31 May 2005, 16:34

Oops, my bad

http://www.halfords.com/search.asp?searchBox=gunson+colortune

You can get them it seems.

G. :twisted:
grim_b
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Doive » 31 May 2005, 17:31

Gunsons still make colortune as far as I know? Good system, never tried it but seen it enough times. For the last MoT the mechanic played with the mixture screw on mine to get the CO readings below the specified limit, mine were miles out. Resulted in a sluggish car to drive, hence the 3 billion RON petrol and lots of right foot. Was going to leave off tuning the carb until I'd had it rebulit. See if I can squeeze a few extra gee gees from the old girl.

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Return to Members Cars Discussion