GJUK

Like Neily's Alloys? Think its about time that Dave started the resto on his Saloon? Tell them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Tortron » 10 May 2005, 04:33

whats all that "extra" stuff on the dash and whatnot
User avatar
Tortron
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer
 
Posts: 779
Joined: 22 Nov 2004, 04:14
Location: New Zealand

Postby GJUK » 10 May 2005, 18:48

Tortron wrote:whats all that "extra" stuff on the dash and whatnot


that would be the haynes manual and some random bolts that go somewhere in the car :D
GJUK
Novice Driver
Novice Driver
 
Posts: 81
Joined: 05 Apr 2005, 12:04
Location: Nottingham

Postby Shellysowner » 10 May 2005, 19:31

What about the switch and the orange light?
User avatar
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
 
Posts: 4384
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 01:50
Location: Cambridge

Postby Neilyman » 10 May 2005, 22:20

Shellysowner wrote:What about the switch and the orange light?


NITROUS! ;)
Image
User avatar
Neilyman
Admin and dirty rotten egg!
Admin and dirty rotten egg!
 
Posts: 2834
Joined: 21 Nov 2004, 17:20
Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Postby GJUK » 10 May 2005, 22:24

car was bought from an electronics expert,

its got an electric fan, and electronic ignition :D

Jon
GJUK
Novice Driver
Novice Driver
 
Posts: 81
Joined: 05 Apr 2005, 12:04
Location: Nottingham

Postby Shellysowner » 10 May 2005, 23:05

Nah, if it was nitrous he'd have a big red button! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just for the record my least favourite film ever is the fast and the furious, well actually it's 2 fast 2 furious (god that coach trip was hell!)
User avatar
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
 
Posts: 4384
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 01:50
Location: Cambridge

Postby jifop » 11 May 2005, 08:11

GJUK wrote:car was bought from an electronics expert


christ, hardly an expert, thats a really horrible looking switch! i would have made it slightly more subtle! (although i do have a huge E-stop on my van to set off the cow horn!)

tim
Before you say anything..... no i cant spell or type!

The post above is my own personal opinion, it is not meant to upset or cause offence, if it does bugger off.

Tim
jifop
Rust Junkie
Rust Junkie
 
Posts: 1278
Joined: 07 Feb 2005, 15:17
Location: hertfordshire

Postby GJUK » 11 May 2005, 21:42

*beep* hell, you guys make me wish that id not posted the pictures up now.

the cars 30 years old, i do not think that this 80 year old OAP popped down to demon tweeks to get an alpha electric ignition kit!

seems you are all agains modding of these cars.

shame really...
GJUK
Novice Driver
Novice Driver
 
Posts: 81
Joined: 05 Apr 2005, 12:04
Location: Nottingham

Postby Shellysowner » 11 May 2005, 21:47

???? easy there Jon. I think everyone was mainly interested in what they did and as for Tim's comment it was hardly a personal affront now was it? (you must admit they don't exactly look the dog's!) As for 'us guys' being against modding cars... well, just take a moment out to read a few threads and I think you'll see that we're definitely not. No need to throw the rattle out of the pram :lol: :wink:
User avatar
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
 
Posts: 4384
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 01:50
Location: Cambridge

Postby GJUK » 11 May 2005, 22:08

no wonder you have so few members. :roll:
GJUK
Novice Driver
Novice Driver
 
Posts: 81
Joined: 05 Apr 2005, 12:04
Location: Nottingham

Postby Doive » 11 May 2005, 22:29

See, I'm the one against modding cars - all the other guys just come on here to taunt me with their modified chevettes or their broken kadetts.

Electronics is my profession - well, that and fireworks - and I can indeed confirm that a fecking big orange light and switch does not an electronics expert make. As for electronic ignition I could knock you up a system in short order, in fact I designed one last summer in my lunch break. I want to keep the points in my car though. So no reason to get all defensive over a few mods. Keep cool, and you will find everyone on this forum friendly.

Incidentally we have over 150 members from all over the world, so get down off your high horse. I like the forum small as it attracts less ar$eheads and trolls than some other forums, if you own a chevette and do a google search you will find it. Also one other reason - chevettes aren't exactly parked at every corner, are they? For a fairly rare car we have a very healthy membership, thanks. We are also enthusiastic, and take a ribbing with grace and tolerance, not flying off the handle without reason.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
User avatar
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
 
Posts: 4360
Joined: 22 Nov 2004, 18:43
Location: Glenrothes, Fife

Postby jifop » 11 May 2005, 23:33

GJUK wrote:*beep* hell, you guys make me wish that id not posted the pictures up now.

the cars 30 years old, i do not think that this 80 year old OAP popped down to demon tweeks to get an alpha electric ignition kit!

seems you are all agains modding of these cars.

shame really...


hey man, i was not attacking you or your car, i was meerly stating my personal opinion on the elctrics!

christ modding cars no! :lol: :lol: i havent driven an un modded car! apart ftom a little white thing i owned for a few months but we wont talk about that peice of dirt.
Before you say anything..... no i cant spell or type!

The post above is my own personal opinion, it is not meant to upset or cause offence, if it does bugger off.

Tim
jifop
Rust Junkie
Rust Junkie
 
Posts: 1278
Joined: 07 Feb 2005, 15:17
Location: hertfordshire

Postby Neilyman » 12 May 2005, 00:15

Mine`s modded, probably the most modded 1256 around, & probably one of, if not `the` fastest 1256 around. Read the specs!
So pick up your dummy, get a grip on reality, & accept the comments as they`re intended. If they were seriuos `slaggings`, you`d soon know the difference, but we`re not like that here.
We have a `small` forum membership because I don`t tolerate assholes who only want to disrupt things......Meaning everyone here is a genuine Chevette/Kadett/whatever fan, with the cars best interests at heart.
Chill out ;)

Oh, by the way, did I mention that I`m an Auto Electrician by trade?
I wouldn`t have used an RS spares switch & a trailer tell-tale light either, nor would I have put them in the speaker grill, but that`s another story. :)

EXPERT..... EX = hasbeen, SPURT = drip under pressure. :twisted:
Image
User avatar
Neilyman
Admin and dirty rotten egg!
Admin and dirty rotten egg!
 
Posts: 2834
Joined: 21 Nov 2004, 17:20
Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 12 May 2005, 06:43

Doive wrote:Electronics is my profession - well, that and fireworks - and I can indeed confirm that a fecking big orange light and switch does not an electronics expert make.

nice one doive. nearly woke the family when i p!ssed myself laughing :lol:
User avatar
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter
 
Posts: 1638
Joined: 30 Mar 2005, 06:55
Location: Telford

Postby Doive » 12 May 2005, 18:11

Glad you enjoyed it mate! Happy to be of assistance. I just thought I'd point out the error of the assumption, it's like saying someone with a ruler is a metrologist (measurement engineer - my true profession), or someone who can wire a plug is an electrician, or someone who can use a flippin toaster is a cordon bleu gourmet chef.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
User avatar
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
 
Posts: 4360
Joined: 22 Nov 2004, 18:43
Location: Glenrothes, Fife

Postby mint » 12 May 2005, 18:35

Hmmmm, I think I better make some ammendments to my CV...
User avatar
mint
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist
 
Posts: 332
Joined: 22 Nov 2004, 21:28
Location: Chippenham, Wilts

Postby shuvit-tim » 12 May 2005, 21:03

will post a piccy of my swtichpanel i put in in an afternoon so i can add 'leccy expert' to my CV.

I've always held back if i didnt like something on a members car, so perhaps tim should have bit his typing fingers.

However, GJUK - if you want to bitch about the forum, you dont have to visit it again do you.

DO NOT, because you have owned a car with a switch in it, think you know all there is to know about modifying cars and then think you can put down other people as you dont know veyr much at all. It was given away when you mentioned that manky silver chevette as having a 'rally look'. - cageless, devoid of safety features, lowered 60mm so it wouldnt have got off the start line on a rally stage, covered in uneccessary weighty fibreglass extras. nothing like a rally car.

as for saying you think the forum has no-one who mods cars...... check your facts.

me: heavily modified nova SR
chevette undergoing a 1600 8V conversion into a stage spec rally car.
hsr2.6 - 2.0 8V stage spec rally car
shuvit-pinto -it's in th ename
shoveitpusher - heavily modified chevette rally car and suzuki swift rally cars.
neily: owner of a very fast twin-carbed, bodykitted, 1256 chevette
iety: currently doing all sorts of conversions neve rtried before on his chevette and doing a motorsport degree

the list goes on. and on. and then some

rant over.

if any of this is uneccesarily harsh mods, feel fre to delete it, it's been a long day.
Last edited by shuvit-tim on 12 May 2005, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
User avatar
shuvit-tim
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter
 
Posts: 2466
Joined: 22 Nov 2004, 23:31
Location: worcester / warrington, UK

Postby Shellysowner » 12 May 2005, 21:29

[email protected]'owned a car with a switch in it'

shuvit-tim wrote:neily: owner of a very fast twin-cammed, bodykitted, 1256 chevette


I didn't know you could get 1256 tc's... must've been a long day tim :wink:

Oh and as for me, mid-way through putting 1.6 honda twin-cam into a morris minor. :D
User avatar
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
 
Posts: 4384
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 01:50
Location: Cambridge

Postby shuvit-tim » 12 May 2005, 21:35

oops. my bad. that's what writign with the rage does for you. meant ot say twin-carbed. not sure how that rb turned into an mm. perhaps it was the 'mmmmmm i want it' factor :lol:
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
User avatar
shuvit-tim
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter
 
Posts: 2466
Joined: 22 Nov 2004, 23:31
Location: worcester / warrington, UK

Postby Neilyman » 12 May 2005, 21:37

WOW, I got twin cams now!!....Thanks Tim.... :)

We all know, well most of us do, that he meant twin CARBS ;)

edit........Ya beat me Tim!

Doive edit: I read it as twin-crammed, well that's with Neily and all his mates kroozin round Bradford anyway....

Neily..twin crammed...you saying me & our lass are large like?? :)
What have I done to you? last nite I was `bulky`!!
:)
Last edited by Neilyman on 12 May 2005, 21:58, edited 2 times in total.
Image
User avatar
Neilyman
Admin and dirty rotten egg!
Admin and dirty rotten egg!
 
Posts: 2834
Joined: 21 Nov 2004, 17:20
Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Postby Doive » 12 May 2005, 21:38

Split topic as I don't like sustained posting in a member's cars topic - even though I was doing some of it!

Tim (shuvit-tim) I hear what you are saying about Tim (jifop) biting his fingers - there are always times for careful consideration of criticsing someone else's car. However, having re-read Tim's post I find no problem with it, he was not insulting or derrogatory towards GJUK or his car, merely pointed out that describing the fitment of a huge SPST toggle switch as the work of an electronics expert may have been a tad misguided. I think GJUK then proceeded to construct himself the proverbial mountain from the dwelling place of a mole. He either a) misinterpreted Tim's comment, or b) genuinely took offence to it.

If a) then I believe no harm has been done, all can be forgotten and life shall continue. However, if b) then GJUK really needs to take a cold hard look at the world around him - Tim is one of the nice guys. As a forum admin I have no desire to see this descend into some sort of verbal slanging match that barryboys would be proud of. I see that GJUK hasn't posted recently, which is a bit of a shame. GJUK if you are a genuine owner and/or enthusiast then please feel free to be an active member of this forum, you are most welcome. However, if you are a troll only here to cause disturbance then head on over to barry boys where I'm sure you will fit right in. None of the admins here will stand for pretentious arrogant types only here to cause trouble.

Enough said.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
User avatar
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
 
Posts: 4360
Joined: 22 Nov 2004, 18:43
Location: Glenrothes, Fife

Postby shuvit-tim » 12 May 2005, 21:40

thank god i got my relpy in just before neily. else i'd have looked like i thought it was a twinc.

hmmm - didnt Doive have a crazy idea about turning a 1256 into a 16V twincam?!

a new project for iety me thinks!

one of the guys who works with my dad owns a morris minor, i can tremember what he's running, i think it's a pinto using a capri 5 speed box and custom prop. The car itself is absolutely immaculate.
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
User avatar
shuvit-tim
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter
 
Posts: 2466
Joined: 22 Nov 2004, 23:31
Location: worcester / warrington, UK

Postby Doive » 12 May 2005, 21:43

The twin cam project was for an 1196 kadett, and was in fact intended for iety's car as he had bought a cam off ebay. I suggested that as he now had two cams why not construct a twin cam setup - of course this is nigh on impossible. The suggestion then arose (by me, surprisingly) that two 1196 kadett engines could be nailed together to make a stonking small block V8. With money anything is possible.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
User avatar
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
 
Posts: 4360
Joined: 22 Nov 2004, 18:43
Location: Glenrothes, Fife

Postby shuvit-tim » 12 May 2005, 21:48

do we have any members with V8s on the forum?

surely it can be done = acres of room in a chevette bay - or are V8 engines too hgh?
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
User avatar
shuvit-tim
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter
 
Posts: 2466
Joined: 22 Nov 2004, 23:31
Location: worcester / warrington, UK

Postby Shellysowner » 12 May 2005, 21:57

*visions of iety, hammer in hand, nails in other hand poised over 2 1196s!* :lol:

yes we have 2 - chevettev8 and v8shuvit if memory serves. There's certainly room for a rover in there Tim, which is the only one that I know of that has been tried.
User avatar
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
 
Posts: 4384
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 01:50
Location: Cambridge

Next

Return to Members Cars Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron