My Chevette Hatch L

Like Neily's Alloys? Think its about time that Dave started the resto on his Saloon? Tell them here.

Moderator: Moderators

My Chevette Hatch L

Postby Shuvit-pinto » 07 Mar 2005, 00:55

Ok A little about what I am doinng to my lil Chevette Hatch.

I am currently stripping the car ready for a little TLC as It needs a few dents and scrapes sorting. I will be replacing the doors soon with a pair of really good ones I picked up locally as the original ones have suffered a few scrapes and the dreaded rust where the door rubbers rest. All the windows will be coming out and the whole body work will be gone over to remove any stone chips, small dents and scraped paint. I will then get a full respray in the original Dark metallic Green again.

When resprayed I will refit a set of replacement bumpers as the old ones were well bent, and a set of over hauled head lights.

As far as the interior is concerned, I will be removing it all so I can Wax Oil every nook and cranny. I will fill the sills with Wax Oil and leave it for few weeks to soak right in and then give every thing else that is likely to suffer the dreaded rust several coats of the stuff. I did this with my other Chevette I had a few years back and it never suffered with rust!

Once this is done all the original interior will be going back in plus I will be adding an original Vauxhall centre consul and an original Vauxhall parcel shelf and brackets. The engine and ancillaries will need just a good service. A little attention is needed to the battery tray and washer bottle areas but nothing to be worried about.

I will be replacing the wheels with a set of newley reworked 6 1/2" x 13" Compomotive CX's ( The old style 80'S Type ) fitted with BF Goodrich 175/65 R13 80T's. I will also be restoring the old wheels and keeping them for originality. They even still have the original tyres on and the spare has never been used!

Well, thats enough prattling on, see you soon I hope.

Best Regards
Mark Jones
A92 SYB
Chevette Hatchback L
Dark Metallic Green
( Undergoing a little refurb )
Shuvit-pinto
Forum Parts Squirrel
Forum Parts Squirrel

Postby shuvit-tim » 07 Mar 2005, 01:08

wow, sound slike she's going to look toptiddlytastic!

Is she still going to be used as a roadcar everyday? or just at weekends? or a show car only?
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter

Postby Shuvit-pinto » 07 Mar 2005, 01:49

SHOW CAR !!! :evil: . Don't be silly LOL :lol:. I will be using her as an every day car dispite people telling me not to clock the miles up on it. ITS A CAR, its meant to be driven an thats what I will do with it.

OK, I will go to shows with it and I will use it at weekends too, but it will be a useable all rounder that will be looked after and mollycoddled. :D
Shuvit-pinto
Forum Parts Squirrel
Forum Parts Squirrel

Postby Doive » 07 Mar 2005, 02:48

I'm planning in the fullness of time to restore my little car. The base unit itself is nice and sound, with rust confined to bits like arches and such. So once I teach myself how to use a mig and I get some space to do it I'll strip the car to a shell and get on with it. It's a shame as i don't want to respray it, the paint has a wonderful flat sheddiness to it, if she was an old Ferrari or something they would call it a 'patina' - but it's a chevette so the paintwork is just flat.

The engine runs like a clock but I may strip it down for a rebuild anyway, however parts like big end and con rod bearings are hard to get so I'm told. Wouldn't like to drop the engine into my newly restored shell and find after 2000 miles that it's knackered. Gearbox is definitely crunchy, so that could do with a new set of synchro cones which are all but extinct.

Glad to hear you plan to use her Mark, I found when I left my car sitting for long periods she became very unhappy, often taking days to become driveable after a period of inactivity. That green colour will look fantastic. It's a shame you're so far away, I'd love to drop in and lend a hand. In fact everyone on the forum is miles away from me, I'm all alone up here in Edinburgh :cry:
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby shuvit-tim » 07 Mar 2005, 03:26

sorry for Blaspheming! i wholly agree, that unless you have something which is truly unique in its jawdropping rarity - and by that i mean things like the last ever e-type to roll off the production line, use it!
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim

Postby Shellysowner » 07 Mar 2005, 11:45

Yeah I've got the original tyres too - when I told the man at Goodyear he was really excited but it turns out they're completely and utterly worthless (and obviously useless as well).
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby Shuvit-pinto » 07 Mar 2005, 19:20

These tyres are still on the car and usable. I will be changing them however when I put the new wheels on. Like I said I will be keeping tham on the old wheels for events that are for the more original car!
Shuvit-pinto
Forum Parts Squirrel
Forum Parts Squirrel

Postby Doive » 07 Mar 2005, 19:43

If the tyres are seriously old I would look carefully for cracked or perished sidewalls. Mine are all a brand called 'Keen' which I believe are an old budget brand and the sidewalls are starting to look a bit dodgy. I reckon Mr MoT man this year will point a finger at them and ask me to change the lot. Worth more than the car! Think I'll put a set of Eagle F1's on to handle the ferocious power of the beast.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Shellysowner » 08 Mar 2005, 11:49

Seriously - if they are the original tyres they ARE completely useless unless they have been stored in a vacuum covered in rubber treatment since 1984. You should never use tyres over 10 years of age and certainly not 21 years old as they just aren't designed to last that long. It's not worth the risk of wrecking your car... and possibly yourself!
Shellysowner

Return to Members Cars Discussion