Daishags Hatch

Like Neily's Alloys? Think its about time that Dave started the resto on his Saloon? Tell them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Daishags Hatch

Postby 78dtv » 05 Feb 2008, 09:19

Looking good Dave :D

Have you put the photo's on here that you had on the projects thread on British Rally? Interior etc. looks really good on those.
78dtv
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby Daishag » 05 Feb 2008, 21:57

Yeah i have its under this link a bit further down the members cars thread

http://www.chevettes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13136

Cheers Dave aka Daishag Rallying 07835971713
If aint sideways you are'nt trying hard enough.
Daishag
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby CancerWagon » 11 Feb 2008, 09:08

I must say that your new rally hatch... is absolutely superb looking in every aspect!
Chris W.
Drifting in a 55 hp Diesel... what?
"Erfolg durch Qualit├Ąt."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Daishag » 17 May 2008, 23:27

The Chevette is to be featured in the next issue of Total Vauxhall which is out on the 6th of June if any one is interested.

Cheers Dave 07835971713
Daishag
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Gordo » 25 May 2008, 05:00

Daishag, I guess you REALLY want to let us know about it being iin the mag' :lol:
ttfn

Gordo
Gordo
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby V8-CHEVETTE » 25 May 2008, 20:31

Is this car going to be featured in a magazine soon? :? :?
I'll finish it one day!
http://www.hotrodgazette.com/
V8-CHEVETTE
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Daishag » 20 Jun 2008, 00:06

Yes its out NOW its issue 85 and it has an Orange Nova on the front cover and a small picture of the Chevette in the top right hand corner of the front page magazine is called Total Vauxhall

Daishag
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby ross.cheeks » 19 Jul 2008, 13:42

bought the mag, dont normally but seeing as it had this in it was worth it.

just wondering what youve done with your roof lining? have u kept it in? if not got any pics?

mine hasnt got 1 in a the mo and deciding what to do, shall i put the one i got back in or not?
ross.cheeks
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Galgeth » 27 Jul 2008, 16:40

Dave

I see you have used HS/saloon turrets with the English axle. I assume therefore you are not using coilovers, so how have you attached the springs to the axle?

Viva/HSR lower links?

I do have the aforementioned Total Vauxhall at home somewhere but cant lay my hands on it at the moment!
Galgeth
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Galgeth » 27 Jul 2008, 16:49

oooooh, oooooh noticed something else!

The front legs of the roll cage appear to be secured with only two bolts.

Does road rallying not require 3 securing bolts? or did you get around it some other way?

Really need to get my licence sorted out and get my hands on a current Blue Book!!!! :?
Galgeth
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Shoveitpusher » 28 Jul 2008, 09:22

bit of a grey area. roll cages are not needed for road rallying so one thought is you can fit anything any old how as it's better than standard. the other is that if you do fit a cage it has to be to blue book spec.

i think it ultimately depends on the scrutineer easy to coirrect though, just weld a plate with a jole in onto the front legs and put a bolt through.
Peter C
Shoveitpusher
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Galgeth » 28 Jul 2008, 20:33

I had a feeling that would be the situation - thanks Peter.

Located the Total Vauxhall, it states there are 2.5 inch coilcovers fitted.

Thats greased my gears a little! :wink:
Galgeth
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Shoveitpusher » 29 Jul 2008, 09:35

as i remember Dai had trouble with axle tramp and went to coil overs, i think he was on springs in the normal place before.
Peter C
Shoveitpusher
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Galgeth » 29 Jul 2008, 22:02

Interesting.

How would switching to coilovers (alone) reduce axle tramp? Or is that not what you meant?

Guess there is only one man who can give us the definative answer!

Come on Dai :lol:
Galgeth
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Shoveitpusher » 30 Jul 2008, 08:51

it was something to do with springs acting in a 1:1 ratio rather than the standard setup
Peter C
Shoveitpusher
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Daishag » 01 Aug 2008, 20:05

Right thanks for the comments guys, and sorry for not replying sooner but i have been hectick over the last 6 weeks moving into my 1st house !!!!!! now i know what its like to be squint !!!!!! In answer to every one's question's the answer's are below

a) The front legs of the roll cage do indeed actually have 3 bolt's to secure (Look Closer) them to the custom made floor mounts thus being up to RACMSA Regs as she is now RAC Log Booked and ready to go on her 1st Stage Rally.
b) Yes i had major problems with her tramping / bouncing on the bottom end due to me making my own 5 link system, i had welded the original spring pan's off a Manta axle onto the English for the suspension ie springs and shock mounts to suit the Chevette HS Turret's, thus with it being 5 linked the fact the centre line of the spring was approx 6" (approx) in front of the centre line of the axle and the shocker was only approx 1.5" behind the centre line of the axle, the shocker could'nt cope with the forces the spring was putting out thus a bounce would start between the shocker and spring transfering the bounce into the wheel and it would start the bottom end hoping all over the show after approx 3ft of wheelspin !!!!!!!!
This action dosent happen when there is a torque tube involved as the axle pivots up down on the front torque tube mount that is approx 2 foot in front of the axle thus counter acting these forces. Where my link rods are only approx 12" long, and the axle had a lot more freedom movement the forces were greater and the shocker could'nt cope.
Thus i put a coil over conversion kit onto the Turreted Bilstien shocks and it cured it straight away. The coil overs are in fact 2.25" Dia and suit the HS turret fine and the springs are 160lbs with a free length of 10" at the moment which is ideal for off road and rough forest tracks but slightly to soft for tarmac so i will be trying to source 190lbs once the funds are up a little. She now sits down on the bottom end nicely and just grip's / spins from the line.

Hope that answer's everyone's question's, I just last night entered into a autotest organised by my local motor club that was run in a local field and came 4th overall and 1st in the rally car class. And if everyone is interested i have just put an entry in for her 1st rally which is The Fire Fly Road Rally Organised by Broughton & Bretton M.C. on Sept 13th & 14th so we will have to see how she goes !!!!!!!!!

Daishag
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Daishag » 19 Sep 2008, 21:16

Just in case any one is interested below is a link to look at some pictures of the Chevette whilst taking part on the Fire Fly Road Rally take a look at the pictures from proof number 032-DSC_0660.JPG up to 032-DSC_0940.JPG and they are all the pictures taken by Rod of RP-Rally Photography who is a member of our club Rhyl and District MC

www.rp-rallyphotography.com/galleries_firefly_08.htm

And also look at images 1687 & 1688 then 1787 & 1788 on the following link for some more pic's by Paddy at www.horsepowerprints.co.uk

www.horsepowerprints.co.uk/firefly08alb ... index.html

Hope you like them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Water Splash was intersteing in the 1st set of pic's the Photographer said we were the only car to actually soak him and the crowd we hit it that hard LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daishag
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Shoveitpusher » 20 Sep 2008, 08:00

looking good, i do like the stripes down the side (i know simple things) - where'd they come froms, especially the bit that follows the C pillar.

did the car run ok, must be well waterproofed.

you do know it's fun don't you? a big grin and wave at the photographer, even if in the midst of the biggest moment in history, is traditional around here.
Peter C
Shoveitpusher
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Daishag » 20 Sep 2008, 21:19

The stripes are actually geniune reproduction HS items by the Droop Snoot Group, i joined the club specially to get a set and then ordered them in specifically in Satin Black.

The car did'nt miss a beat, not even through the water splash even at the speed we hit it LOL !!!!! I did try and smile at Rod the Photographer but im so NOT photogenic and was Pooing (sorry but sh1t dosent work on this forum) my self at the time as to where the road went as we could'nt see a bloody thing and got soaked to boot through the sliders in the poly carb window kit LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daishag
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 24 Sep 2008, 20:49

Genuine reproduction :D
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Gordo » 25 Sep 2008, 11:33

Don't be mean - nothing wrong with a real fake stripe!
ttfn

Gordo
Gordo
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Daishag » 25 Sep 2008, 12:56

OK i meant i bought them through the DSG Club and did'nt make em my self, i actualy asked the guy who fitted em who runs a local sticker firm wether he could copy them so i could sell them via ebay, BUT he said with them being actually curved and not straight they would be a pain the bottom to make and thus we just fitted them and if i need any more i just have to re-join the dsg group again to get some more !!!!!!!!!!!

Daishag
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Daishag » 25 Sep 2008, 13:03

Entered it into its 2nd event which will be the Farrington Rally on Nov 22nd & 23rd starting from Ruthin in North Wales so happy days better get the new Diff built and the rear springs put on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daishag
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Gordo » 26 Sep 2008, 08:49

Have fun and don't break it!
And if you do - make sure you've got it on video!
ttfn

Gordo
Gordo
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Return to Members Cars Discussion