Mantadoc`s Tin bashing skilzz

Like Neily's Alloys? Think its about time that Dave started the resto on his Saloon? Tell them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Mantadoc`s Tin bashing skilzz

Postby CR500Dom » 11 Aug 2007, 01:34

Excellent work fella :wink: :D

very impressive fabrication and repair, and not the easiest of sections to make either.....

Makes mine look like a walk in the park in comparison, but I have wimped out on the front sections and ordered repair panels from Dr Manta :oops: :wink:

Cheers
Dom
CR500Dom
Upsetter of "The Purists"

Postby Galgeth » 11 Aug 2007, 18:52

Ill second that, excellent work.

My A pillar looks exactly the same as yours, infact I had to look twice!

I have tried making several panels for this section but wasnt really happy with the fit. I was going to repair it bit by bit but after seeing your repair section I think I will try do it in one hit!

Any chance you still have your cardboard template? :wink:

I can cut weld and bend metal fine, but just cant get on with cereal packets!
Galgeth
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 12 Aug 2007, 00:07

When I've done I'll make a copy for you (cereal box supply willing), as always handy to keep templates, will come in handy for other side so a good start for in a year or two, are you in a hurry for them?
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby V8-CHEVETTE » 12 Aug 2007, 10:18

Very impressive work!!!!!!!!

Much more satisfying to do the work yourself than take the easier route. :D
I'll finish it one day!
http://www.hotrodgazette.com/
V8-CHEVETTE
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Galgeth » 12 Aug 2007, 17:55

Mantadoc wrote: are you in a hurry for them?

Yes and no.

I am eager to get on with the repairs but theres plenty of other holes to patch elsewhere, so no rush just as and when you can!

Really, really appreciate the help.

Thanks
Galgeth
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Doive » 15 Aug 2007, 08:29

Blimey mate! That little lot is worse than my Kadett was! Keep up the good work.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby CancerWagon » 16 Aug 2007, 03:22

I must say that someday I hope to be as good at this as you are!

Got any injuries from this project yet?
Chris W.
Drifting in a 55 hp Diesel... what?
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Mantadoc » 16 Aug 2007, 09:55

Galgeth:

Give me your address and I'll post them to you, can't be bothered to take copies so please post them back when done.

Cancer Wagon:

Not doing bad so far, arms taste like spoons from the grinding sparks as usual and of course the usual welding spark burns, no blobs melted in me yet. That should change when doing the floor though :D Barring that only interesting one was my wedding ring cut into my finger while gripping the hinge pin puller and thumping it.

Just glad to stop taking metal out, and although not welding in yet, being able to start reassembling in a manner.

Replacement axle and upper wishbones get here Mon / Tues next week, but of course I'm back at work then so need to get as much body done as possible in the meantime. Leaving welding the bump stops until the wishbones arrive.
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 16 Aug 2007, 21:02

Me and my big mouth..........

........T***ed my head on the rear axle brake pipemount Ouch
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby V8-CHEVETTE » 19 Aug 2007, 14:38

I've got a piece of 3mm which is 3" wide by 13" long you could weld two pieces together to make 4" square or a have some 1.6mm that you can get a full square piece out of.

I'm in Horwich if you need it.

I'll finish it one day!
V8-CHEVETTE
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 20 Aug 2007, 00:52

Thanks for the offer V8, I had already gone out to work on the car or I would have taken you up on that, it was for the radius on the jacking point / axle mount as it had three holes so I was going to replace that bit, but instead I ground it up and gave it a good beating, the rest was solid so welded it up as I needed to get on.

I'm at the end of two weeks holiday and not got nearly as far as I had hoped, then again the hole corner has turned into a bottomless time pit....

A little hole in the inner sill from underneath has turned into a rebuild of almost all the supporting structures behind the quarter.

Still to do:

Boot floor
Rear panel (and mods to chevette rear panel)
"Small" hole above other jacking point (yeah I bet that goes smoothly)
Rear axle swap (which means a set of brakes so they are a known quantity)
Both front wishbones swap
Front bump stop cones
Nearside door bottom and corner

Oh and numberplate lamp and maybe a rear shocker (well a pair)

etc etc etc
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby V8-CHEVETTE » 20 Aug 2007, 06:03

No problem.

Keep a note of my number just in case you get stuck again. :D

And keep up the good work!!!!!
I'll finish it one day!
V8-CHEVETTE
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby CancerWagon » 21 Aug 2007, 05:08

Again, Wow. I need to do some work simmilar to that to the diesel eventually, but nothing that extensive.

I am ever impressed!
Chris W.
Drifting in a 55 hp Diesel... what?
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Mantadoc » 21 Aug 2007, 19:19

Thanks, but I prefer the welds to be prettier, cleaning up in confined spaces and welding in drafts is always a problem with the migs as they like perfect conditions. That and the fact I only do a decent amount of welding for a few weeks every other year, so by the time I'm good again I stop.

Question though folks, I consistently find myself welding on 2 Min and 2 Max, the top two settings.

I tend to use 0.6 wire for car as I had an old arc habit of choosing thinner rods for thinner steel.

Now I usually use CO2 as I tend to find that using Argon with the same settings will burn through, So I guess Argon being not as "wet" doesn't cool the job as much? Has anybody else noticed that?

I suppose if I used Argon I could knock the welder down a setting or two. It might be worth a try using Argon when I get to the Axle spring hanger and want all the heat I can get in that big old piece of iron.

Additionally I have never used the weld through primer before, and while using high settings with good access I get a reasonable result, on the whole it seems to have a negative impact on weld quality, maybe it's better in spot welded seams?

What I tend to do is spray both touching sides, screw them together when dry, then use a wire brush on the grinder to clean it off the exposed seam, but the mig sounds different, kinda like welding zinc plated steel, which if you have tried it seems to shed candy floss as it burns the coat away.
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Doive » 01 Sep 2007, 22:53

Man, again that's some seriously impressive work there. Be assured that I'm taking lots of notes, as no doubt I will have to do quite a lot of similar repairs as you have done. Ralph passed through my way a few days ago and said 'that saloon isn't too bad - get on with it and stop pissing about'. So I guess I'd better do that!

Keep the updates coming, it's fascinating stuff.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Mantadoc » 02 Sep 2007, 00:07

Welder has been perked up by some rudimentary maintenance, still needs some parts but big improvement.

I was resisiting pulling it to pieces without having a clue as to the cause as if something broke I'd be erm stuck, and it was kind of working, but bit the bullet so hopefully things get easier now.

I'm making a lot of work instead of just patching the minimum and I'm way over deadline.

I'm going to try to recreate the nearside seam tidily so will probably spend too long on that, the corner piece from the quarter to top of rear panel that also carried the seal is a bit gorgonzola too so I need to do half of that.

Until the rear panel is tightly tucked in I can't cut the boot floor out (again)

Oh and I might have to take the panhard rod mount off the floor to do it. It doesn't have to come off but the middle of the 3 layer sandwich is crumbly.......

Left hand rail needs some welding so will probably get the floor fitten then section the rail.

Oh yeah small hole in inner sill above RH jacking point. Hopefully doable without the same level of strip down and one near belt mount in RH arch.

Hmmmm

Not in Kansas anymore
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby CR500Dom » 07 Sep 2007, 21:42

Excellent work :wink:

As for the section of boot floor containing the Exhaust Hump, this is the section in my Hatch but might ring a few bells :?

There are some shots from underneath in my Thread as well which might help ?

HTH
Cheers
Dom
CR500Dom

Postby Mantadoc » 07 Sep 2007, 22:16

It does ring a few bells, could just do with a view of the last couple of inches to where it joins the rear panel as well please :D :D , as it appears to narrow near the "apature".

Interestingly I would say the bare hatch floor looks almost identical to the saloon floors hmmmmmmm I wonder if length is the same?

Oh yeah, got plenty of 1.6, 2 and 3mm from the place you suggested V8-Chevette. Cheers for the tip.

I was pondering making the nearside rail complete instead of repairing, but I think the amount of time in cutting and folding of the thicker steel will just eat time. Shame. Guess I'll just fold some Ls for the sides and keep the top. It'll be easier to keep the alignment that way aswell.
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby CR500Dom » 07 Sep 2007, 22:58

Its a shame really, Mine is mint in that area and the whole boot floor between the chassis rails is being cut out next week....

You could have had it if I had done it earlier

Just searched through and I dont have any pics of the very back, a couple from underneath at the end of my thread might give you a clue though ?

HTH
Dom
CR500Dom

Postby Shellysowner » 10 Sep 2007, 16:44

V8-CHEVETTE wrote:I've got a piece oh 3mm which is 3" wide by 13" long you could weld two pieces together to make 4" square or a have some 1.6mm that you can get a full square piece out of.

I'm in Horwich if you need it.

Doive wrote:I remember last summer being in another Chevette with a quite mad driver, and we were drifting round A class roads at 65mph with the tail sliding progressively on the corners. It was fantastic.

1980 Chevette L Hatch
<s>1980 Chevette L Estate</s>
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby Mantadoc » 10 Sep 2007, 19:26

That's a bit random isn't it Shelley? Or is it me :D
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Shellysowner » 10 Sep 2007, 21:10

No, it's because some people can't read the bit which says "If the thread isn't about your car then do not post in it" :wink: and that is how I've transferred the info across to make sure that you still get to read it.
Doive wrote:I remember last summer being in another Chevette with a quite mad driver, and we were drifting round A class roads at 65mph with the tail sliding progressively on the corners. It was fantastic.

1980 Chevette L Hatch
Shellysowner

Postby V8-CHEVETTE » 10 Sep 2007, 21:15

Shellysowner wrote:No, it's because some people can't read the bit which says "If the thread isn't about your car then do not post in it" :wink: and that is how I've transferred the info across to make sure that you still get to read it.

I intentionally posted the comment in both threads (have a look further up this page) so that Mantadoc would have a better chance of spotting it, i'm dead clever like that :wink: :wink: :D
I'll finish it one day!
V8-CHEVETTE
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Shellysowner » 10 Sep 2007, 21:20

Well any chance you could intentionally make my life easier by not doing that in future? :roll: :lol:

1980 Chevette L Hatch
Shellysowner

Postby V8-CHEVETTE » 10 Sep 2007, 21:26

Shellysowner wrote:Well any chance you could intentionally make my life easier by not doing that in future? :roll: :lol:

Will try my best. :D
I'll finish it one day!
V8-CHEVETTE
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Next

Return to Members Cars Discussion