Mikunis awesome motors..

Like Neily's Alloys? Think its about time that Dave started the resto on his Saloon? Tell them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Mikunis awesome motors..

Postby shoveitnz » 05 Feb 2007, 15:17

Wicked fella! I love a nice stationwagon/panel van!
Is your car on standard cut springs or new springs?
If cut then how many coils did you remove?
On my old 2.3 chevtte with piazza gear I used the piazza springs- they needed a couple of coils removing but the rate whatever it was worked really well.
They dont have twin cam piazzas over here in blighty- just turbos-which is a shame givin how easily the torque tube twink piazza axles bolt into a chevette.

I love those widened 13" wheels!!!! how wide are they?
great pics BTW! And welcome- i've seen your cars on old skool site but its good to see em here!
alex
NZ desperately needs more immigration and fresh blood. Our eyes are getting far too close together!

http://retrorides.proboards86.com/index ... 155&page=1

http://www.vauxhallviva.com/vivaforum/v ... hp?t=10258
shoveitnz
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Shellysowner » 05 Feb 2007, 17:50

Love the widened steels!!! Are they banded? I have been wondering about getting some wider 13" rims (weller or similar) and welding the original centres in.
Doive wrote:I remember last summer being in another Chevette with a quite mad driver, and we were drifting round A class roads at 65mph with the tail sliding progressively on the corners. It was fantastic.

1980 Chevette L Hatch
<s>1980 Chevette L Estate</s>
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby 1000er » 05 Feb 2007, 21:36

looks very cool with the 13".

what springs and shocks have you fitted, especially on the rear?
1000er
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Trevette » 06 Feb 2007, 00:41

I'm loving that estate so much. Definately the best looking estate chevette i've ever seen. What suspension set up are you running with the smaller wheels. I want to get mine lower if i can but not sure which root to go down - coilovers/airbags??????

Lovely motor though
1983 Vauxhall Chevette
Trevette
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby sexychevette » 26 Feb 2007, 09:45

Theres already a thread down lower on the page :lol:

I also reckon its the best wagon that ive seen. The colour, the ridehight and the wheels :twisted:
Chevettes are the Mantis
sexychevette
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby mikuni » 07 Mar 2007, 07:07

Cheers for the comments guys. I will try to answer all the questions.

Right. Lowering is using cut springs front and rear so I could get the height I wanted. From here I got the ends tapered so they sit flat top and bottom and then got them retempered so they are hardened and safe.

Front bump stops are cut in half to get the extra travel this allows and the lower shock mount is modified slightly to fit shorter shocks.

The shocks I'm using are from a suzuki sj4 (or what ever they are called, those little jeep things) front and rear. In the front, as mentioned I just drilled a slightly larger hole in the lower mount and put spacer watchers in to keep it nice and tight, as well as strong because of the larger holes that were drilled.

In the rear I just pushed the steel tube out from the rear of the shock, allowing the urethane bushing to squeeze straight over the standard chevette shock pins. So minimal effort was involved to get the short shocks in there.

That said, it bounces like crazy, doesn't go over bumps, slams the body, xmember and steering on off camber or bumpy roads and skips the rear around corners because of the steep angle the torque tube is now on. I can get in and out of driveways and over small speed bumps etc, so its not entirely undrivable.

But its low and on nice roads it handles and rides like a dream haha. I'm not trying to talk people out of lowering their cars, because I love the way it is but you just have to expect what comes with the territory. Coil overs may be a better option, I just know I'd never bother to wind them up.

Now wheels, yes they are welded steels but they were done the wrong way. If you were to do some yourself I suggest getting centreless rims and welding them up. PM me if you require more details.

Ok, I think thats it. Now some people wonder why I like my cars so low that they are difficult to drive. But I know the reasons why.. the handling, the feel and the look. http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/Lo ... CN0068.jpg
1980 Vauxhall Chevette Estate
mikuni
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby Doive » 07 Mar 2007, 09:46

The car is looking fantastic mate, I'm really jealous. The colour, wheels and the long estate bodyshell all add up to a great looking package. Don't suppose you could track down a nice estate for me and have it shipped across?! 8)
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby mikuni » 11 Mar 2007, 01:53

I wish. I was just thinking the other day how long it has been since I saw another one. I think the Holden Gemini wagons are more common over here than Chevette Estates/Chevannes.
1980 Vauxhall Chevette Estate
mikuni
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby Gordo » 11 Mar 2007, 04:16

mikuni wrote:I wish. I was just thinking the other day how long it has been since I saw another one. I think the Holden Gemini wagons are more common over here than Chevette Estates/Chevannes.

There's a red one I see near work driven by some young kids - if I had the cash - and the room - I'd see what they'd sell it for.
ttfn

Gordo
Gordo
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby shoveitnz » 04 Aug 2007, 21:31

sitting in the pub here late on a hot summer night and found your latest stuff! wow- i've copied it and will read it later but so far from skimming the pictures looks a bloody good effort!

Good work fella- i'm lookig forwards to getting back to NZ in next coupla years and seeing the trick chevettes about!

alex
NZ desperately needs more immigration and fresh blood. Our eyes are getting far too close together!

http://retrorides.proboards86.com/index ... 155&page=1

http://www.vauxhallviva.com/vivaforum/v ... hp?t=10258
shoveitnz
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Return to Members Cars Discussion