Nothing to see here - Kadett MOT work and 9 days to finish..

Pics and specs of cars owned by members (if the thread isn't about your car then please do not post in it!)

Moderator: Moderators

Nothing to see here - Kadett MOT work and 9 days to finish..

Postby Mantadoc » 11 Aug 2007, 00:10

Took battery tray out and made a small hole to reach indicator bulb...

Took a day to get the top hinge pin out....7 hours I'm never going to see again

When I started there was only the section at the base of the A pillar showing holes, everything else was sweet, I could have left the rest but though I would clean up first rather than weld and find the rabbit hole runs deeper as it burnt through. Kinda regret starting that, but on the other hand better done properly.

Cardboard translated to steel

Then corroded outer removed as I need to not add any thickness to the pillar as that would step the wing out.

Note the joggled repair in the old outer folded down. This has been there for about 8 years with no protection on the inside, quite good condition shame the surroundings let it down.

Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 12 Aug 2007, 00:34

More door pillar sorry....... it's therapy

And now the other side

The welds sh**e, structually sound but not pretty, just not in the zone today, then again anytime it's not smooth and good enough to be gas tight I'm not happy. If I had more time I'd grind it and run a weave over the top but If I could afford the time I would have ordered a panel. Shame though.

There was a lot of working it around to get the dished bit nice, which is lost in translation

More russet brown pillar

Skin bits around the hinges gone now

Healthy dose of Kurust

Panel going back on

Making up top of pillar

I know the fit looks wrong on the curve...........
...........but actuallly its the wing which is wrong. It's a pattern part, I did comtemplate making the pillar fit the wing, but then thought if I ever change the wing I'll regret it

Recess gives plenty of clearance for doo edge, shown here with stay connected, clearance is fine without too.

Sorry if this is boring, as I said earlier it's therapy

Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 14 Aug 2007, 00:49

Drilled the flange 9mm in situ and plug welded, I usually take the extra layer off to keep thicknesses the same but figured that ship has sailed, it's not like this car will ever be top of the line.

There are the odd marks here and there in the flat area where this too was drilled and plug welded to attach it to the internals.

Top coming together, changed the mig tip this morning DOH instantly more controllable, funny how you forget the simple things.

More plugs to attach internals visible and to be ground down.

At least the floor is still here, well half of it has been replaced already anyway.

This car is turning into an attention monster. I was figuring out the best way to tackle the rot between the inner sill, axle mount and rail under the seat, so took some of seat out.

The inner /outer wheelarch flange is toast, as is the supporting inner. The floor between axle mount and rail is rotten too, not sure whether to remove a section of the rail and put it back later or not, if I do I can do most work from above, downer cutting the rail though.

Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 15 Aug 2007, 00:25

Needless to say boot floor is quite shot at, at a few inches higher than last time so big panelling there, on the bright side it's less work (well less feet of welding) to change the whole thing.

Pulled the tank because with the inner / outer arch seam shot I'm going to be doing a fair bit of welding in the tank vicinity.

Took the axle mount off and yep it needs welding too. The four 10mm holes will help me align it in the original location later

And a better shot of the hole

Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 15 Aug 2007, 21:51

End of chassis rail braced to stop it moving, had to fold some steel into a box as no sections lying around

More floor out from below

And arch

Starting to rebuild side panel and arch

As the seam has gone I took the new part through the seam, no point putting a strip on the old section, it is more welding.

The two pieces in the side have the edge folded twice to make a 2cm "n" (u) section and the n of the 45 degree piece overlaps the horizontal piece. This is just to add to rigidity as the folds from the original pressings have gone.

Longshot of same, the square of panel to the pillar overlapping the new will be reduced when all pieces are in place.

Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 16 Aug 2007, 23:28

Did the inner sill section and folded the return before the "triangle" that should have a grommet in.

Spent forever trying to fold the floor under chassis rail up towards the inner sill with the radius and return on.

Then realised two hands and a knee are no substitute for a press, so cut off the rolled edge and seam edge as the better part of valour, and quicker, easier etc.

Well here are all the off cuts over a couple of inches square, so seeing as I've got through 16 sq feet of steel so far and thats about 4 sq feet in the pic there is 12sq feet of steel in this car so far....

I figure the boot floor will be about 14 sq feet.

I remember back in the day when I though making the boot floor was a big job, how things change. I think this rear corner is about the most complex piece of the car with about 7 panels meeting here in standard trim.

4" band in to bridge the rotted out seam.

The plate closing the back still needs trimming up against the inner arch

Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 17 Aug 2007, 22:58

Crumbly seam in the boot

That's better, another hole

View from front to back with all the new panels out while being weld through primed

Band going in to the wheel arch

Needless to say MOT is now up, but moving along if not quite according to plan.
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 19 Aug 2007, 01:17

Going together now, well behind as usual

Wheelarch repair from inside boot

If I'm lucky the jacking point / floor / sill /axle hanger area will be back tpgether tomorrow (big if as I think I need to do some sill)

Anyone know where you can get 2mm plate on a sunday? I need about a 4" square
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 20 Aug 2007, 00:19

Slow progress but really coming together now

Half inch spaces in the weld at regular intervals in case of any explosive stress cracking.

What's going on here is I had to cut the plate with the circular hole in off the jacking point end to get it out. If I had welded it back on off the car I doubt I would have been able to get the plate in from beneath. Hence the new floor section peeled back to allow this to be welded.

Here floor section is welded to inner sill, so only the "capping" needs to cover it before the seat area goes back in. Oh and I need to weld up all the screw holes.

With the brace bar removed the chassis rail didn't move so quite happy, especially as there was a jack under the axle mount to pust it up flush against the rail, and it was up enough to lift the car off the axle stand at that corner so it holds weight fine.

Welding started to get a bit cr*ppy and tappy again so changed the tip again and all was well, once again should have done it sooner.

The big reel I'm using is a year ot two old and has the odd rust spot on the outside, I think this may be abrading the tips quicker than it should but what the heck tips are cheap.

Pretty much has all the shapes you expect to see under here

Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 28 Aug 2007, 21:35

Hiya, work has slowed down now as I'm back at work :(

What else, well the left sill had a rear half fitted a good few years ago, there is a patch in between, and it needs some work at the back edge and the front behind the wing mostly.

I used a paint stripper disk on the rest of the sill before starting, and there are 4 or 5 pin holes on the old sill section. Now they could be stone chips rotting in or rust coming out, so as I can't see inside the sill to see what's good and what's not I've decided to replace the whole sill. More work...

The "capping" piece to the inner sill which should have been part of the floor going in. Would have taken so long to make in one piece.

Another bad habit of mine is welding up the self tapper holes but it makes me happy, still a few to do here.

Seat going back in. I wasn't worrying about an original look for the rotted / mangeled bits, functional and tough enough is good enough, other wise it would be another time pit.

A bit of a mess, this is the plate that is the front of the seat section, the welds along the top are nice, the welds along the bottom were a bit proud, but I was using the same settings, I'm not a fan of the effects of weld through primer on a weld. This years work on the Kadett may be my first and last flirt with it.

The welds on the left are messy. No excuse.

Stripped out rear, note the number plate recess between the lights that shuvits don't have, more work here or the tail end tim won't fit.

Chevette number plate mounts saying bye bye. Notch in sides of new plate for intergrips so I can get a tighter fit the rest of the way round.

Cleaned filler off the previous lower quarter repair to be sure I have something to weld rear panel and floor to.

Note nut and studding through bumper mount

Start of the jig to kep the rear square when the panel is out, doubly important because to fit the middle of the old panel for the number plate recess wil involve cutting the middle out of the new panel.

This will be expanded to with a bar across the chassis rails braced to the rest, and additions to pick up on the rear bumper mounts and boot lock striker plate mount.

Welding in the sections in the rear panel to lose the mounts went to hell. Welder is playing up so I'm using it on nearly the highest setting other wise getting no penetration, even on the butt joints letting sections in the panel. Caused a bit of distortion that mostly came out with a hammer and dolly. i could have done better quicker with the joggler, but the laps would have looked pap inside the panel. As it is the inside looks fine its the outside that looks like hell, but its a little low so a small skim should do fine.

If you are interested in trying to diagnose my "welder" problems, whether it be welder me or welder kit have a look here: http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3059
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 01 Sep 2007, 22:20

Jig / frame expanded on to chassis rails and diagonal (made out of offcuts) to keep this square with the other sections.

Studding added through bumper mounts, double nuts behind to fix back stops.

Then phone went flat, as I'm using it for the camera I used one of those little booster packs I had handy...

Then flate added to locate the centre vertical support

Two more bits added to touch inside top seam to locate top / centre

Side seams nibble out

Here she is showing her ribs

Panel just hung loosely in place

Started cleaning up seams, offside is sweet. nearside is corroded as it's had a quarter in the '80s

End of day. Panel is loosely in place. Need to rebuild the nearside flange tomorrow.

Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 03 Sep 2007, 22:17

Yesterday

6 hours and little progress. I miss the old botcher me sometimes, years ago I would have just put the panel in and cut plates to bridge the holes, blah blah add pudding and done. Trying to do a reasonable job really eats time, especially when two of the 3 sides that locate this panel are shot at.

At some point in the past the car had a nearside quarter fitted which is why the boot floor and inner arches rotted out originally, the dealership that replaced it didn't seal the inner arch..........

Lots of time just went taking the rear panel on and off again and refitting the nearside rear quarter patches / edge

Crunchy little triangle from quarter to rear panel. I think it's replacement was mole gripped to it here so you don't get the full cheese effect.

The replacement

Rotted bit cut out...........

................and here's how it fits. Cheated a little here as I let the flange side run back to replace some of the corner panel that had gone to dust

And the corner in place

Big wingnuts speeded up the off and on process

Barring the bit where the paint is nearer the flange for about 2 or 3 inches, the rest of the flange from top to bottom has been remade, and below the last swage it had to include the first half inch of panel, it's not much but it's a compound shape, so cutting and tagging and welding up nicks before it could even be attached to the car

Here it is ground up and fitted together. You can see the previous lower corner repair

Today

Not much progress tonight, only really got a productive 30 mins in after work, so added a bit more weld and grinding to flange and puzzled cutting the boot floor out.

The rear panel happily sits a few mm in front of the reinforcing pieces. It sits there happy and everywhere fits so baring in mind the rear has had a poke now and again I'm going to go with the pane position and adjust the plates to match.

Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 04 Sep 2007, 23:13

Every boot floor starts with the first fold :lol:

My dear old box folder, 3 pieces of angle, 6 bolts 4 nuts and 2 studs. 16 years old and as rusty as the day I made it out of an old bed frame.

The important bit here is the L shape angle running from the left of the pic with the end bent down.

It's loosely screwed to the floor at the back edge and straight across.

I can slide the "floor panel" between it and the floor to line up the back edge consistently and, as I'm working alone, act as a third and fourth hand by holding it up. I then scratched along the seam at the bottom of the quarter, and marked the front and back of the seam.

I put a best fit scratch along the scribed line, which will be the fold. There was then a parallel line scratched 15mm outside this and the steel trimmed to this.

Fold made in box folder along the first line to make the flange that is G clamped in place. Now I have positive location on two sides things will get easier

A long shot of the setup, once I get a day where I can run the grinder up I will chop out the old floor, work along the rails with the self cut / tap screws and then try to get the edge trimmed to follow the pressing on the bottom of the rear panel.

Oh yeah, looks like panhard rod mount will have to come off, the "floor panel" is 24" deep and doesn't go far enough back so that will be another seam because I need to take the repair up the hump to within a few inches of the tank mounts.

Oh, and repair the rails, although I am tempted to just fold a straight rail for the nearside rather than repair and piece the existing, we will see what happens I guess.

Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 07 Sep 2007, 21:06

You should all be sick of this by now, it's very much the same as before.

Panel on, right hand. Panel off left hand. Panel on, panel off, no forget to breathe, very important..........

Rusty boot floor problem solved........ no boot floor

At least most of the lower corner is intact. The wheel well seam was tacked a year ot two ago as I knew I'd be back here

Panel in loose, bit added to jig to try to locate it better for the exhaust hump.

Same from other end. If someone could post a view of the hump over the exhaust that would be great as trying to make something I've not seen in years.

Pizza, first food since breakfast

Spec is 14" with a low profile crust and peperoni and jalapeno finish.

Available from LA Pizza :D other pizzas are available

(as are other pizza vendors)

Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 10 Sep 2007, 20:38

Saturday

Starting to do my head in a bit as I've now spent a lot of time and it kind of looks the same, that is rear panel still on lift of and boot floor in loose.

I really could do with the rear panel welded in and at least some of the floor so it would feel like progress. The front edge of the boot floor overlaps onto rusty steel so I can't weld that in until that steel is out, but need it as a reference point for now otherwise there wil be so much car missing I won't have much idea of the shape........... rusty steel is still handy to fold new over for a form where it doesn't crumble.

The panhard rod mount has been making me ponder too. The section onto the rail is secure, but the section under the boot floor re-enforcing plate isn't, the floor skin to bracket is thin and crumbly. Probably pass an MOT or two unless you get a real picky guy, but stupid not to do it while here. I've probably spent a few non-productive hours staring at it.
Obviously if I removed it I would need some form of location too.

Cut back and still there is crumbly stuff falling out of the rails.....
......that's not the kind of answer I was looking for from the car

Offside chassis rail plated with 1.6mm and welded

Turns out box folder isn't that good on 1.6mm of a sizeable width.

Only had one piece of handy tube lying about (from a B&Q trolley park years ago) which I aquired because it was shiny and has spent 11 years in my wife's boot so she can easily undo wheel nuts (also good for drifting on halfshaft bearings).

The other tube is.....erm.... mini mig bottles cut up and welded together (well I could hear the valves rattling so I knew they were empty and squinted as I cut into them, that'll save me from shrapnel right?). I don't think I'll try to ebay them as a "make your own prop kit".

Cutting gas bottles - bad idea don't do this!

Side of nearside rail, took a tidy few hours to do this all in one piece. Maybe I should have done it in 3 and been quicker.

I could grind the welds down for a tidy finish (might even be hard to spot the repair but can't be bothered. Weld isn't that bad looking.

More of the same.

Mmmmmmmmm flat, the folded edge to the rear panel fits nicely

Set my leg on fire :D

First clue was being nicely warm, though the flames were quite high, so as I reached for my phone to vid it I started getting really uncomfortable...

..... so I stamped it out which is a funny experience, as trying to put it out involved kicking myself and pushing burning material onto my leg :)

This is it out. I already have a matching sweatshirt and T shirt :D

Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 10 Sep 2007, 22:29

Sunday

Folder did the straight, and adjustable spanner makes a nice job of the tags.

Otherside of the nearside rail is repaired.

Hump making tool :D

I just need to go 18" up the axle hump and cut out part of the panhard rod mount and maybe one day soon I can get some serious welding done.

No work tonight, I was stuck in work.
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 11 Sep 2007, 22:24

This should be about as far as I'm cutting back

Turns out I was right, the panhard rod mount was loose on the floor. I decided to leave most of it in place and just cut the bits under the floor off in order to get the floor out then repair the bracked. In spite of being cut very nearly through one part of the bracket stayed on the car..........

..........all 3 skins on this side had rotted, I can see through the top re-enforcement plate

So nearly up to the tank mounts

Now would be a good time to clean the axle.......... if I gave a hoot

Not much to show, but after a couple of hours staring I think I will put the floor to the rails inner, then use some 1.6 on the tail end of the rails... maybe

Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 17 Sep 2007, 00:25

Had Saturday off, so for once got out of bed on a Sunday and started at 9am. Doesn't really seem like I've done much in 12 hours.

Gratuitous no floor shot from a few days ago

Bit of panhard rod mount removed from floor (at least this side was still attached or maybe it would have been better if it hadn't like the other side)

Haven't got a nice spot weld cutter these days, so centre punched spot welds, hammer and a phillips, then 3mm drilled then 9mm from the top but stopping before it went through the bottom so it will be easier to re-attach.

This may constitute a hint... my knibbler produces nasty half moon swarf which doesn't brush up easily. Put a magnet in a bag then pick it up on the outside of the bag. Turn the bag inside out as you take it of the magnet and you have bagged swarf.

Piece of old floor and new. The strengthening piece will be removed from the old and repaired (rusted to death from the bottom on one side) and re-applied.

Making this shape was a pain in the butt cheeks.

It had been trimmed since this to reduce the overlap between the new sheets.

And from below... the ends of the panhard rod mount have been re-attached.

Not very exciting, but getting there, I'm waiting for that point where it is all cut, trimmed and ready for a mass weld session. The two big pieces of floor and the rear panel are all kind of dependant on each other fit wise.
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 29 Sep 2007, 22:55

Well last weekend I was at a wedding and the weekend before I took a day off. Coupled with general not being bothered and work running over into the evenings I've slowed a bit, so now I'm back on my head.

I doesn't come over on the picture, but quite in the zone today, nicely smooth, flush and well penetrated welds.

While waiting for the weld through primer to dry before the next section could be tackled I switched to the front end.

The bottom ball joint threads weren't too bad so I gave them some WD instead of a wire brushing and WD, sure enough ball joint started spinning GRRRR.

Usual jacking it up and jolting the knuckle down didn't work, so extension under shocker pin, tube to push down (eek lifter car off axle stands) and tightened the nut - tight.

Wire brushed with power tools (various) WD again then spun off a treat.

Sprayed the scissor type ball joint splitter with WD so it slid the rubbers out of the way and split.

Cleaned oiled and split top joint. Standard spanner wedge position used when changing springs to keep the top wishbone out of the way. Redundant this time as wishbone is being changed while ball joints split and doing the bump stop,

No compressor handy so using the anti-spring walkies rope.

One offending bump stop

Lets just pause and admire the picture below for a minute.......

Gratuitous shots of shiny metal as I'm quite happy with today's progress.

Coming soon - another installment of flat shiny metal
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 03 Oct 2007, 07:37

Sunday

3mm steel for the washers, 12mm hole, 11 might have been better. I used 3mm as these don't have any pressings to add rigidity.

A cardboard template was made by wrapping around the remains of a Manta bump stop to allow for the slight taper.

Old bump stop used as a form.

Finished. A piece of 10mm bar bent in a circle to create a shoulder for the bump stop would have been nice.

Manta stops play, exhaust back box fell off so needed repair. Needed doing, but without it the rear panel would probably have been welded in.

Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 03 Oct 2007, 19:52

For no good reason at all a mate sent me this out of the blue taken back in October 94. I don't know the date but I remember the day.

Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 07 Oct 2007, 10:00

Saturday

Finally got a proper clamp (ebay) to replace the temporary one "borrowed" off my wife's jump leads :D

Rear panel welded in at last - now I can cut it up a bit later :(

Mole grips were used all over and the panel button welded.
Nice tight fit and swages all lined up.

Top button or plug welds need little finishing.... I'll probably make more of a mess welding up the screw holes

Another tight joint and swages all lined up, obviously not as pretty where I had to mess about with the bottom of the quarter.

The bottom edge is plugged to the floor too. There is also a Toblerone shaped section I welded in between the chassis rails a couple of inches back to stop the flat panel floor wobbling so I could get it to stay straight and rigid.If I hadn't done this it would have been hard to get the rear panel bottom straight.

Just happy that panel is in as it marks a mile stone.
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 08 Oct 2007, 01:02

Sunday

Bumpstop in place, welding round the back was nice and easy to get at. A 5mm drain hole was drilled in the low side just in case.

Below floor chassis rail section

This is a funny view, the ball of light on the right is out the boot apature through another hole in the inner arch. The one on the left is through one of the cutouts in the top of the rail inside the boot.

Slot nibbled in the floor, the piece on the right is pushed up against the flange of the rail in the boot.

Same view different angle

Rail screwed in. The piece of floor on the right is sandwiched between two chassis rail flanges, just like the original.

All welded in, along with some 1.6mm plate added on the run up towards the spring hanger, as originally, there was thicker steel here too.

The joys of inverted welding, still it doesn't look too bad.

If I can find some hours in the week it would be nice to get the inner arch piece back in and the floor to bottom rear of quarter together....

......but already life is getting in the way.
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 13 Oct 2007, 11:54

You would think I would be working on the car but nope, still in bed. :D :( :D
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mantadoc » 13 Oct 2007, 22:47

So finally got started about 2pm, lazy or what!

Bits of wood for wedging come in handy

Well that's the last of this side behind the wheel done...............Or is it?

Probably no benefit to it but it used to have a flange before so its got one again.

And as the last weld was finished the mig wire ran out, perfect timing and a pain all in one.

Guess I get a lie in tomorrow as I don't think anywhere is open that does 0.6 before 11 am.

If there is let me know :D
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Next

Return to Members Cars