Blydenstein phonecall

General Chat about Chevettes?..put it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Blydenstein phonecall

Postby Shellysowner » 06 Apr 2005, 21:15

Today I rang Bill Blydenstein and asked him about some of the things we were talking about down in the aything else -> Peugeot 405 bhp thread.

1500cc 1256 motor:

Apparently this was something he did in the mid 70's when eight and eight kits only were made. To be honest he was more interested in telling me to put a Manta 1800 motor and box in and gave me the names Edwin Dunmore and Mario and Edmond Lindsay who are apparently DSG members - Edwin apparently being the owner of an 1800 manta motored chevette. A turboed 1500cc chevette motor was tried back then, although he can't remember the compression they used. Apparently it was a pig, until they took the turbo off when it became a lovely car. The Lindsay brothers are the people to talk to about this he says. To make a 1500 motor you need: Custom crank, shortened rods and possibly different pistons. He also kept saying that you really need a 5th gear in a chevette and it's pointless modding the standard motor too far due to the lack of overdriven top.

Standard motor mods:

He said you can fit a 175CD to a standard manifold but you will need a 1/2"- 5/8" taper piece to go between the manifold and the carb that tapers between 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 inches. He reckoned the best mods were carbs and head and that when tuning a 1256 you shouldn't necessarily mess about changing the cam initially.

2.6 motors:

2.6s apparently had a cast iron crank and he confirmed that they had around 50 made. I asked him about that car I saw the other day and he said that although he wouldn't know whether Gerry Johnstone built it or not (said I would have to ask Gerry myself) they did do a 2.6 s/c motor for Pentii Arikkala (he didn't go into why).

Chevannes:

Yes, Bill's works at Shepreth did have Chevannes. He wasn't sure on dates as he said they got rid of them in the mid seventies (which is obviously wrong) but they had 2 of them and they were painted either silver or blue. They modded the heads on them and stuck Konis on all round and he said 'this made them into lovely cars'.

What a nice man to take the time to talk to me and to let me ask him all that :D
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby JOCK » 07 Apr 2005, 12:12

Yeah he's Spot on old Bill is aint he. Thats great that he's given you all that info. I met him last year at the Historic Motorsport Show, I found an old magazine on the Autojumble which was a 1977 Autosport supplement for the Lombard RAC Rally that year, in the middle is a double page spread of a DTV HS Chevette tackling a bend sideways on a stage (I think its Penti driving). So I got Bill to Autograph it for me. In the back of the magazine is an advert which mentions the 1500 Blydenstein conversion for the Chevette, So me and my mate were talking to Bill about this for some time as well as the 1800 Manta engine! He's just really down to earth isn't he. Top Bloke!
I want to meet Gerry Marshall next, cos in the 70s him and Bill were an unstoppable force. http://www.gerrymarshall.co.uk/

I just want Doive to notice this picture of a Beemer being led by a Vauxhall :D
REAR WHEEL DRIVE FUN!
JOCK
He`s not a mod, he`s ***KNIGHT RIDER***
He`s not a mod, he`s ***KNIGHT RIDER***

Postby hsr2.6 » 07 Apr 2005, 20:45

i'll hold my hands up to the bogus info on the 2.6 i gave ............sorry............
rally drivers do it sideways.............well the quick ones do....................
hsr2.6
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Return to General Chevette Discussion