Scrappage scheme

General Chat about Chevettes?..put it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Scrappage scheme

Postby Shellysowner » 24 Jun 2009, 09:02

I was reading Classic Car Weekly the other day and an article was talking about how a number of perfectly decent classic cars had been scrapped due to the large amounts of money offered to trade in old cars against brand new vehicles. It occurred to me that since the average Chevette is worth a lot less than the £2000 or so which is available in these schemes, this is going to effect chevettes quite a bit and sights like this one will be all the more common:

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-Chevette-Estate-1256cc-2-Front-wiper-arms_W0QQitemZ190316278540QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2c4fbbf30c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A10|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A2|294%3A50">link</a>
Doive wrote:I remember last summer being in another Chevette with a quite mad driver, and we were drifting round A class roads at 65mph with the tail sliding progressively on the corners. It was fantastic.

1980 Chevette L Hatch
<s>1980 Chevette L Estate</s>
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 24 Jun 2009, 19:46

aye she looks ok, in far to good a condition for breaking :x
i'd like to know what is going to happen to the motor industry when the people who have traded their older cars in have dried up.....the inevitible perhaps? Image
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby Shoveitpusher » 25 Jun 2009, 07:15

I'm sure the scheme requires the trade in's to be crushed whole. in Germany apparently it's killing the scrap business, price has dropped and they can't sell the parts.

It'll hurt the industry in the long run, peole getting new cars now I doubt will be buying for a couple of years, there is still a lot of design work going on, the plants will want to start producing thiose cars and the buyers will be tied in with their scrappage purchases.
Peter C
Shoveitpusher
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby curryracer » 27 Jun 2009, 12:35

Also, how many Chevette owners (and owners of other similar aged cars) are in a financial position to afford a new car?

Despite the "discount" its still a lot of money over quite a long time. Thats even if they can get the finance!

Don't forget they also have to have owned the car for at least 12 months before the scheme started. That will also exclude those who have inherited the car from somewhere.

Here is a way forward:

Dear Mr. Darling,

Please find below my suggestion for fixing Britain’s economy. Instead of giving billions of pounds to banks that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan. You can call it the Patriotic Retirement Plan:

There are about 20 million people over 50 in the work force. - Pay them £1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire. Twenty million job openings - Unemployment fixed.

2) They MUST buy a new British CAR. Twenty million cars ordered - Auto Industry fixed.

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis fixed.

4) They must send their kids to school / college /university - Crime rate fixed.

5) Buy £50 of alcohol / tobacco a week , there' s your money coming back in duty / tax etc.

It can't get any easier than that!

Yours sincerely,

A Taxpayer

P.S. If more money is needed, have all members of parliament pay back their falsely claimed expenses and second home allowances.
curryracer
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby curryracer » 27 Jun 2009, 14:26

I take it back about no-one scrapping good old cars:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default ... ryId=19961

If thats what is happening at somewhere like Hy and dry, what is being lost elsewhere?

What a shame.....

Who would have thought such over production and lack of fore sight would have led to this???
curryracer
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 27 Jun 2009, 19:28

Your "Patriotic Retirement Plan" is severely flawed mate on every count:
1 - There aren't 20 million people over 50 employed. There isn't much more than 20 million people in full time employment anyway.
2 - I'd be surprised if 1 million cars are made here every year so how would we manage to make 20 times that? Anyway, there is no British car industry it's all foreign owned and most of the cars would be made abroad.
3 - Most 50+ year olds have either bought their houses or have very little left on the mortgage. Paying off a mortgage would have no effect on a housing crisis.
4 - Most 50+ year olds kids have grown up. "Educated" people still commit crimes just not so much of the "uneducated" ones crimes.
5 - Alcohol and tobacco abuse accounts for much of the NHS' woes. This will only increase them.

Your plan would cost £20 billion to implement, hardly a figure for a country that is nearly £800 billion in debt to find, and it would be ongoing.

curryracer wrote:Who would have thought such over production and lack of fore sight would have led to this???

Economics is simple it's the "educated" people of this world that complicate it :)
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby Shoveitpusher » 28 Jun 2009, 09:59

it doesn't matter who owns the factory, what's important is where it is located - you want the money from employees, right down the supply chain, they then spend money in shops etc. the global economy means companies will always find ways of dodging corperation tax,they can't dodge paying wages.

one problem is it is just too easy to shut large employers (ie factories) in this country, that's why the likes of Dagenham and Righton (peugeot plant, I've probably spelt it incorrectly) went.

the basic concept of protecting a base line of manufacturing, something that employs all levels of people, is a far sounder policy that basically relying on people playing high stakes gambling ganes or playing with decimal points - that is far better as the icng on the cake, not someting to base your whole economy on, as we have now found.

ldv may have been poor, but no poorer than Northern Rock, right now would have beent the time for a goverment funded eco wonder van to be designed - by the time it hits market recession over and it can sell. much of the cash will be recyled back into the economy, as a defence/govenment job it's easy to control who works on it.

i believe tobbaco abuse brings a profit to the nhs, alcohol i don't know about, I guess if the revenue balanced with the nhs expenditure it would be a fair situation.
Peter C
Shoveitpusher
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Gordo » 28 Jun 2009, 14:01

Main reason that Britain is still in the proverbial is a hangover from the bad old days of VERY militant unionism.
The sods crippled British industry in the sixties and seventies and it never recovered.
ttfn

Gordo
Gordo
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby chris(not) » 07 Jul 2009, 12:40

Not one of "ours" but the scrappy I visited on Saturday for some Focus bits had a scrappage W reg Focus in with 22,000 (!) on the clock, plus a not too scruffy Mini (original) that someone had apparently just spent £450 to get MoT'd so as to claim the £2000.
...........________
........./|__|__|__|\____
.=.=.( _---|__|__|__---_)
.............O...............O
Chris
chris(not)
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Return to General Chevette Discussion