2006 FIA European Finals - Santa Pod Raceway

Like it says on the tin.

Moderator: Moderators

2006 FIA European Finals - Santa Pod Raceway

Postby Shellysowner » 11 Sep 2006, 00:19

During the hour for which I queued to get into a packed Santa Pod, the morning's mist had cleared and by the time I strolled through the gate of Poddington Airfield, bright sunshine was waiting to greet me along with the distant infused aromas of candyfloss, cannabis and nitromethane. One of the first cars that I came across was this Lotus Omega (it's a new one on me - I thought they only came badged as Carltons).

By the way I've done all my images 800x600 size this time - let me know if thats any better/worse than usual.

I love a good Pro-Stock matchup and this weekend we weren't dissapointed (in fact Friday saw europe's first side-by-side 200mph Pro Stock pass).

(that's Michael Malmgren in the near lane and Peter Dahlin in the far lane. Malmgren took the win here, 6.882/200.05 to a 7.204/190.64).

And here's Dan Laarsen reversing from his burnout before a storming 1st round victory in Top Methanol Funny Car:

...and there were some bikes....

Of course there's one thing I love more than a good Pro Stock matchup, it's a bit of Pro Mod (Roger Johansson providing the entertainment with this long rolling burnout):

...and here's Mats Eriksson taking on Bruno Bader:

Chris Isaacs' little S/C Vanguard is so sweet:

Just when you thought the day couldn't get any better, Dutchman Paul Vrind brought out his Orange Chevette to playin Pro ET. 'Little Mean Chickie' as she is known runs a 427 ci Chevy motor and had dialled in at 10.05. Pictured here staging for the final, the car left a cherry on the tree and then seemingly coasted for half a second or so before blasting up the track to a 10.011 break-out. There's certainly a lot more in there!

Sadly the very tail end of the event was cut short by a 'serious incident' at the top end of the banking. Apparently someone in the crowd was hit by a piece of flying debris from a car (!), the police were called (they closed the track) and the meeting had to be abandoned - no news as yet as to what went on. While we were waiting to find out what was happening I snapped this pic:

One more treat in the car park on the way out - I'll let the pictures do the talking:

So roll on next week and the Hot Rod Drags :D
Last edited by Shellysowner on 12 Sep 2006, 01:33, edited 1 time in total.
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 12 Sep 2006, 00:53

that person died i heard today
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby Shellysowner » 12 Sep 2006, 01:32

Herbie_Flowers wrote:that person died i heard today

Oh, sh*t, you're right.

That isn't good at all, poor guy! I can't quite remember when it happened, but I think it was at the end of the TM/FC final. The rest of the 'serious' finals ran and then the meeting was stopped, so I assumed it wasn't a life-threatening incident :?
Shellysowner

Postby jifop » 13 Sep 2006, 11:18

yes it was truly tragic, the police are still investigating but it is the first time something like this has ever happened in this country

nice pics btw, you didnt mention that the chevette is apparently for sale though!
Before you say anything..... no i cant spell or type!

The post above is my own personal opinion, it is not meant to upset or cause offence, if it does bugger off.

Tim
jifop
Rust Junkie
Rust Junkie

Postby Shellysowner » 13 Sep 2006, 11:25

jifop wrote:...you didnt mention that the chevette is apparently for sale though!

Good point, I didn't. We never found out how much though did we? Presumably a fair amount if it runs 9s!
Shellysowner

Return to Events & Cruises